What's new

Removing Red-Eye from Digital Photos? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Folks,

Took a bunch of pictures with my digital camera
last night.

Apparently the red-eye reduction setting was
disabled without my knowledge resulting in faces
with red eyes.

Is there a software that will remove these red eyes?

I have Adobe Photoshop installed. If someone can
point out the settings to use in that program, I
would appreciate.

Otherwise, point me in the direction of other
software please.

Thanks in advance

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I'm sure there's a way to do it in Photoshop....not exactly sure what to tell you other than blowing the area around the eyes up so you can see the individual pixels and recoloring them.

If you can get ahold of a copy of Photoshop Elements (comes with many digital cameras now) it's pretty easy to do tasks like this. The program is designed for touching up digital pictures.

SteveCop

Agent
Ronald,
Sorry to stray off the topic here. I was just wondering if you ever figured out what the yellow exclamation icon in the taskbar was?

Steve

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
Photoshop tips

Link I had saved to touch up pictures with photoshop. I bought a copy of microsoft pictureIt because it has some one click solutions to touching up many of the problems with digital photos

Greg

Mark Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the great link, Greg!

This is exactly the kind of thing my wife has been bugging me for. We just got a digital camera and I haven't had the time to play around with Photoshop Elements to figure out how to clean up pictures.

Can anyone else recommend links, books, etc. with simple tutorials on cleaning up digital photos? About all I know how to do right now is adjust brightness and contrast on pictures.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Basic rule of thumb is to zoom in as much as you need to, change color or blend color the pixels. I cleaned up many photos using the zoom tool > color picker > pencil tool.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Try this:

1) Zoom in and use the eyedropper tool to pick up a sample of the proper color of the eye (hopefully the red eye won't be so bad that there is none of the original color left).

2) Create a new layer, so you're not working on the original photo. Make sure you're working on the new layer.

3) Use the pencil tool to completely paint over the red area. Paint over the pupil and if necessary the entire iris too, but not the white of the eyes. Yeah, it's going to look weird until you do the next step.

4) Change the layer's blending mode to Saturation.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

I had Microsoft Picture It Digital
installed on my computer. It had settings to
touch up red-eye, and it worked well.

Thanks for all your help.

PS: To the person that asked, no I never
found out what that yellow icon means, but
then again, it hasn't shown up lately.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The yellow lightbulb means someone is online at the current moment. A white lightbulb means they are offline.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks