Removing Quicktime From Windows System Tray

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Osborne, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Ben Osborne

Ben Osborne Second Unit

I have the free Quicktime 5 player installed and like a lot of programs, it put an icon for itself in my system tray. The problem is, I don't see any way to remove it in the program's options. Quicktime's technical support page also doesn't tell you how to do this. So I'd appreciate any help. I find those system tray icons incredibly annoying, especially when there's no easy way to get rid of them. I'm on the verge of uninstalling the program.

I'm running Windows XP if that helps.

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I'm not that proficient in XP yet, but I'm 99% sure that there's a run command that will get you to a utility that controls what starts on boot. I know 98 had a startup console you could access by typing "msconfig" at the run line, but I'm not sure what will get you there in XP (if anybody knows the equivalent for Win2000, I'd like to know).

I finally used the startup manager on System Mechanic to disable the quicktime icon. Might not be an option for you, but it's an easy way to control most hard to get to aspects of your PC.

3. Ben Osborne

Ben Osborne Second Unit

Yeah, msconfig also works with Windows XP, but I thought that the program might have some built-in way to get rid of the icon.
    [rant]At least Realnetworks has the decency to let the user disable all of those excessive features in their Realplayer program. Quicktime is the only Apple program I use (occassionaly, just to view movie trailers) and it's always begging me to buy it or download the upgrade, trying to take over all my multimedia extensions, and now this system tray icon that can only be gotten rid of through subversive methods. And when I go to their website I've got to look at some goofball like this:
    [​IMG]
    Telling me to "get out of my Windows world." Well, my message to Apple is, "get your sh*t out of my Windows system tray!"[/rant]

4. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

I have QT6 and this is how it is done there:
    Open quick time, open edit menu, go to preferences, go to Quick Time Preferences, last option. Viola!

If you do not have these options, I would suggest updating to version 6. I do believe that it is free as well.

Sean

5. Ben Osborne

Ben Osborne Second Unit

Thanks Sean. I better get version 6 since 5 doesn't have that option anywhere I can find it.

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Check your registry for this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurr entVersionRun]
    "QuickTime Task"=""C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime"

7. Julio De Luis

Hey Ben,
    The way I removed the Quicktime tray icon was by using the program below:
    Startup Control Panel
    It let's you control what programs startup when you turn on your computer and it was the easiest way I could stop Quicktime from starting up.

8. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

What an awful piece of software! The damnable icon kept appearing in my system tray. I tried Msconfig, but after a second reboot, it reappeared. Then I searched the registry and removed any appearance of qttask. Again, it only worked for a single reboot, then it appeared again.

I hope at least the uninstaller works.

-Dave

9. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Upgrade to QT6 and it's a checkbox in the options screen...