What's new

Removing LCD TV from a tilting wall mount (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I have to remove my father's LCD TV which is mounted to the wall using a fairly basic wall mount that simply tilts up and down. I need to get access to the wall so I can run cables from the TV to my father's Dish DVR and DVD player, etc.. How does one remove the TV from the mount? I can see bolts on the side of the metal mount but wonder if that is it, or does it simply hang on it as like a picture frame?

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
have no idea, I didn't install it and I don't use a wall mount for mine. I haven't tried to remove it like a picture but I would think it has to be either hung like a picture or has some kind of bracket that I can remove while it is in place, otherwise, it would be impossible for it to be removed. I don't think it's the bolts because they would be a PITA to remove and there appears to be 4 of them (2 per side)

Jay

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Perhaps you could take a picture or two of the mount as best you can and we can try to see if we can locate the attach points.

I don't have any firsthand experience with wall mounts, either, but from what I've heard from others, it's pretty common for the mount to actually screw into holes on the back of the TV. Installing/removing it is definitely a two person job for any TV over 30" - one to hold the TV while the other unscrews the set from the mount.

In some cases, a plate which can easily separate from the wall mount is attached to the TV. Separating the two parts of the mount is relatively easy, then after the TV is detached, the plate can be removed - but I don't think this is typical of most wall mounts.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I took a look at it, finally, last night, there are 4 posts that extend from the tilting bracket that must be screwed into the back of the TV, it can't be a picture frame so it looks like somebody has to hold the TV while another person with a hex socket and socket wrench, unscrews the 4 bolts (2 on each side) and then the bracket and TV gets released...

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Looking at it closely, it turns out that the bracket is screwed into the TV but the bracket and TV can be removed from the wall plate by simply using a reaaaaallllllyyyy long phillips head screwdriver or an angled phillips bit and wrench to remove the 2 screws underneath the braket and then lifting the TV/bracket asembly up and out, like a shelf arm off the wall mount. The bolts (2 on each side) apparently is just used to tilt the TV up and down and don't need to be removed to remove the LCD from the wall...

Jay

hdtoyou

Auditioning
Real Name
KinOfAccessories
I have purchased several different brackets from www.KingOfAccessories.com Excellent value and quality is excellent. I have purchased bracket to support 37" to 60" TVs and never had a problem. Price is always very good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks