What's new

Remove or not remove protective screen? (1 Viewer)

Sean Romo

Agent
I have a mitsubishi 46809 and would like to remove the protective screen to reduce the GLARE on the TV that I experience during the daytime. It has been slightly upsetting while watching sunday ticket to have so much glare. I am going to try and cover the windows, but then it becomes a dungeon.

First...I have no pets or children and am not worried about damaging the "real" screen. But are there any other benifits to leaving the screen on?

Second...How do I take this screen off a mits? Easy or Hard?

JoshuaT

Stunt Coordinator
I did this on my old '55, and it was AWESOME! Easy to remove, just use fingernail or other soft pry tool to gently pull the left and right plastic brackets off of the screen. (They are small trim pieces on each side of screen) Then remove screen. Make sure that you save the screen by wrapping it up carefully in case you ever want to put it back on!!!

~josh

Tim Hess

Second Unit
If you have no kids, no pets and don't play sports in your Entertainment room, take that screen off!!

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Not only will you get rid of the glare, you will also see more image detail as a result.

Regards

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
How important is the screen if you have kids?
I missed Michael TLV on his past tour of SW Ontario but will be having him in to calibrate my set in February when he's back (which is a good thing, since the TV had to be replaced 3 days after he would have done the setup) :D
I am still debating whether to have the screen removed. I have a 15 month old, but she doesn't spend that much time playing in the HT room. She sometimes taps on the TV a bit, but doesn't seem too interested.
Would I be taking a big risk in removing the screen?
sorry to hijack the thread, but Sean seems to have already made his decision so I felt there was no point in starting another one :)

Sean Romo

Agent
Thanks for the kindness about jumping in. Im glad to see the interest.

In my opinion I dont think too much damage could occur (scissor or knives omitted :D ) But I can say that I felt my TV was sitting on a nude beach with its screen cover off. ha ha. Old RPTV's didnt have this screen FYI.

I only had a few minutes before going to bed to do it and I put it right back on. The picture looked quite a bit more colorful, and I can't wait to get home and check it out with more time.

Not only will you get rid of the glare, you will also see more image detail as a result.
Thanks, that was the information I was hoping for. (and how to do it, thanks on that too) The companies claim this screen helps the image but once I had it off you could see it was tinted, obviously blocking light coming out.

Mine turned out to be a small trim piece on the top and the bottom that pulled off easily (with gentle prying I used a forman grill plastic spatula) Then I just pulled the top and bottom at the center of the cover screen and it bowed enough to slide out of the side trim. Easy to put back too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks