What's new

remove 6x9s permanently? (1 Viewer)

Phoenix

Agent
Should I remove the rear 6x9s and leave the holes open so I can get more bass inside the car? I will add 3 1/2" speakers in the back for rear fill. Good idea?

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
I assume you mean to open the rear deck with the absent 6x9s, right? If that's the case, then I'd say no, don't do it. If you are finding that your bass is lacking in your present situation, creating holes won't fix your problem.

What's your setup? Are you running a decent sub with an underpowered amp? Are you sure that the box is the correct volume for the sub?

Lots of other areas to investigate before you opt for removing the 6x9s.

Jason

KenWong

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with you Jason, I think what phoenix is planning on doing is opening up the holes in the rear dash/deck so that the bass will go through the holes and give you more bass. Yes, it miiiggghhhhttttt give you a tiny bit more bass, just like how a hatchback allows the bass to fill the entire car, however, in your case- I don't think it'll be worth it.

By removing the speakers, you're also going to lose some of the mid-low bass response from the 6x9 as well as losing some of the "fill" music that they provide. Again, what car is this, what subs and amp are you using?

Phoenix

Agent
The car Im talking about is a 90 bonneville. The subs are infinity reference 12 inch, I dont have an amp yet. What I am trying to achieve is gettign the most good bass that I can using the least power and the least noise from rattling. Would removing the 6x9s decrease the pressure in the trunk? It rattles pretty bad, and I will be dyna-mating it soon, but I dont want to take the chance on having it sound like crap. Ive talked to lots of people that have the trunk access hole behind the rear armrest and they say that it makes a big difference in the bass, but my car doesnt have this hole. I wanted to take the 6x9s out because I dont want to cut the sheet metal.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
"Ive talked to lots of people that have the trunk access hole behind the rear armrest and they say that it makes a big difference in the bass" Edit - still can't get the quote thing to work :)

I would assume that the difference is due to mid-bass, not sub-bass. Mid-bass would be heard much more with some venting of some sort. In your case, though, you are looking at sub-bass frequencies and venting doesn't apply with sub-bass frequencies. Two 12"s are going to create enough sound preassure on their own that removing the 6x9s won't releive this preassure, especially when you consider the cabin gain effect.

I'd treat the trunk first and build the proper boxe(s). My preference is sealed for SQ over SPL but in your case, you might want to go ported as sealed boxes need more amp power.

After your subs are amped and running, then evaluate your next step (6x9 removal). Better to do one thing at a time (small steps) than do more than is necessary.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks