What's new

Remotes (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
or maybe the delay was defaulted to a real low setting because it knows it's a CRT and doesn't need to wait too long. Knowing mine is a RP LCD, it's default delay was set to a longer pause.

But setting the delay to a quicker delay setting has definitely sped things up quite a bit now.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Sorry if I missed this in one of the posts but I have a question about the remote 'remembering' what mode/state the TV or receiver is in. What happens if you leave the TV in 'Component 1' mode with the remote and for some reason use the buttons on the TV itself to switch to 'TV' mode? How does the remote deal with the TV not being where it 'thought' it was? Same goes for the receiver. I only use a remote to turn on and switch inputs on the receiver maybe 50% of the time.

There was also a comment about the Harmony having problems with older Samsung TV's. Can someone define old? My TV is the Samsung TXL-2791F and I think I got it in 2002/03

TIA

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The one thing I love about the remote is, it doesn't matter where the TV's input was last left off, the remote makes the TV input go directly where it needs to go.

I like this because my DVD is connected via HDMI and if I'm viewing my ReplayTV and wanted to jump to my cable box, I had to click the input select 3 times. Whenever it would get to the DVD input, I had to wait a few seconds for the TV to change resolutions (to the HD setting), then when I went to the next input, I'd have to wait for it to change back to regular resolutions.

With the remote, it doesn't cycle through, it just goes directly to that input...bypassing the other inputs. So it doesn't matter what input the TV was last left on, or what the remote thinks it's left on. Since it's a direct navigation, you'll be cool no matter what you do.

----

and speaking of the remote. I'm getting more and more used to it. I still don't like the fact that I have to maneuver my hand a lot and (sometimes) use two hands, but again, I can live with that. I do love when I'm watching a DVD (with the amp) and I go to watch regular TV...the fact that everything (that's not needed) gets turned off and all of the inputs change...that's really cool to have happen with one click of a button.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Jim: I've got a Samsung set (about the same vintage. I forget the model number but its a 28" HD CRT) which requires you to scroll through the inputs. No problems for the Harmony.

If things get manually changed and thrown off...all you do is push the "help" button on the remote. it asks basic questions like "Is the TV on?" "Is the A/V Receiver on?" and "Is the TV set to Component 1?". When you push "no" after th last question, it will scroll through the inputs until you answer "Yes". It is very easy and very intuitive.

It will then ask "Did that fix the problem?". If everything is cool and you push "Yes"...the remote returns to normal operating mode and you then go about your business.

Mark: Glad to hear you and the 880 are getting along! ;)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the replies; they're very helpful. I'm trying to decide between the 880 and the 670. I suspect I'll like the buttons on the 670 better but that screen on the 880 is dead sexy.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
It didn't play nice, Mark? :)

How do you guys feel the remote functions when not using the activities button (controlling individual components)? I know it's mostly user preference but it would be nice to hear your thoughts.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Obviously I don't have anything to compare it to, but the 880 has 8 buttons on the LCD screen, which is very helpful. As it is, I find the 8 buttons to not be enough, so I couldn't imagine less.

The other plus is, the 880 comes with a rechargable battery...not the AA kind, but the kind that are in cordless phone. Since the LCD can take a toll on the batteries, the charger is a godsend.

The charger has a glowing blue light in the center, and with the thin/shiny black charger, it looks really cool even when the remote isn't in it.

The one thing I like about the charger is, it makes me put the remote back in it at night. I used to keep my remotes all over the place and having the charger forces me to keep things "tidy" :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

All you do is click a button marked "device"...and a list of all your devices pop up on the screen. Select the one you want and you've got toal control over that device. For example, when I click on my PVR device...EVERY function on my Scientific Atlanta HD-8300 is then found by scrolling through the screen...and I mean EVERY function.

But I have to admit, Jim that I rarely go into device mode because as soon as you do you lose the ability to control the rest of the devices you are using at that moment.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
(to Jim) Yeah, you usually don't need EVERY control in the device menu, so just add all of the controls (that you would use) into the Activities menu.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL - :D Yeah, I got to upload JPEGs as buttons. I took TV logos off the web and created buttons as my "Favorites" in my cable box control:

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Here's an example of what I'm thinking of. Sometimes when I'm watching a movie at low volume I'll turn up the subwoofer setting in the receiver to get a rumble from the SVS. I'll do this on the fly during a movie.

So what this means is I'd Hit "Watch a DVD" to get it all up and running then have to go to devices>receiver for the sub level and then devices>DVD player to navigate the player. Correct? Sorry if these are dumb questions. I've never bothered with a universal remote before but I'm tired of juggling 3 remotes.

Getting the 880 would allow me to add commands from multiple components to the LCD screen under an activity and avoid switching back and forth? The 670 wouldn't have this option or will it?

BTW, is there a list on the Logitech site where I can see if my components and TV are supported?

This is really helpful. Thanks again.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member

Nice. That's pretty much the last real question I had. I'll take a look on the logitech site to see if my gear is in their database.

Thanks again, guys!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

If there was ever any question, you are now officially a geek! :D

And I'm especially envious to see that NESN button! :angry: A color screen AND NESN!

:D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Mike, that NESN button is also to the HD channel....

...mark runs and shields himself

EDIT:
which goes well with the graphic artist/programmer in me. :)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, for whatever reason Amazon has great prices on the 880 and 670. I'm leaning towards the 670. At $100 it seems like a steal.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
I hate to interrupt the Harmony love fest, but the JP1 capable remotes offered by UEI provide a cheaper alternative that is every bit as flexible.

I have the URC-9910, and I am able to completely control:

Sony SXRD TV
Two DirecTV receivers (soon to be replaced by a Dish receiver)
Two Sony CD players
DLO iPod dock
Pioneer DVD player
Toshiba DVD recorder
Pioneer receiver
Technics stereo receiver (to power outdoor speakers)

Like most universal remotes, if I push one of the device buttons (SAT, CD, etc.) I can control that device. However, if I hold down one of the device buttons for a second or so (the duration is configurable), the remote turns on the TV and sets it to the correct input, turns the receiver on and sets it to the correct input, turns on all necessary equipment and turns off everything else.

For example, if I hold down DVD, the remote turns on the TV (if currently off) and sets it to the component input, turns on the receiver (if currently off) and sets it to the DVD input, turns on the DVD player and turns off everything else. Long key presses (LKPs) can be programmed for any button, not just the device buttons. For instance, if I hold down Power, I can shut down the whole system.

I like JP1 because it provides a lot of flexibility and complete control over the remote, but for some people, the Harmony solution may be more intuitive. Afterall, the JP1 stuff is really a hacker interface that is not advertised by UEI.

Free JP1 tools, upgrade files and help from the JP1 experts can be found at: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums

--Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks