What's new

Remotes (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Egbert: I wonder how your wife is going to show her appreciation once she sees how easy you'll be making it for her to use your HT gear! ;)

Mark: I've got a Samsung set that's a couple years old. With it, you normally would cycle through different input settings before landing on the one you want: Component 1, Component 2, Video 1, Video 2, External, etc.

The Harmony remote is able to keep "in memory" where the TV input is set. So...every time I say I want to watch either a DVD or my HD cable box, it knows exactly what to do pertaining to setting the TV input. Every once in a while when it does get confused...there is actually a "help" button on the remote which walks you thru a few screens to troubleshoot what went wrong. A few button pushes later, you are all set!

So, as it pertains to the TV inputs, the Harmony actually simplifies the process as opposed to the original remote! With the original remotes, you'd have to cycle through the TV input selections to find the right one. (This was one of the things my wife would never grasp). With the Harmony. one button push "Watch a DVD" and everything gets put in exactly the right place...all you need to do is put the DVD in the player! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I second everything Charlie said. I have the cheapie Harmony (659) and I love it. In addition to it remembering what state each device is in, if things get mixed up (say the IR is blocked or something), it has a help screen that will lead you through each device/setting and ask you what's working and what is not - i.e. "Is the TV on now?", "Is the TV set to Colorstream 2?", "Is the A/V receiver set to DVD?", etc. That way you can always get back to the state you want with the push of a few buttons if something goes wrong (which rarely happens).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Oh, so the remote knows where the TV was last set to. So it really is just advancing through the inputs - it's just that it knows how many to advance through.

Since my TV has about 8 inputs, I turn off a few. I would then assume that if I were to turn one of those on (i.e. adding another 'advance' through the cycle) that you can adjust that with the remote?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Actually, it probably utilizes a "hidden code" that chooses the input directly instead of advancing through them one by one. Most A/V equipment have these codes, like discrete "on" and "off", etc., that are not on the factory remote. There are a bunch listed for the One-For-All remotes on remotecentral.com's One-For-All links.

No matter how it's done, you just reconfigure the remote via the website, download the new config and away you go. The site actually has a pretty good "Test Drive" for setting up your particular system. You don't need a remote to do it and it leads you through it step by step.

Just go to:http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?CR...9&languageid=1

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mark: Take the plunge! The water's fine! :D

As I was showing off my Harmony 628 to one particular co-worker with an HT setup his mouth was just gaping open as he couldn't believe the convenience and ease of operation.

And, I'm telling you...my wife, who was constantly complaining about how "all I want to be able to do is turn on the TV and watch it!", now regularly listens to CDs, watches cable and can watch movies all without asking anyone for help! In her mind it was probably the best HT purchase I've ever made. :emoji_thumbsup:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Any suggestions of which model? (I know, a loaded question). I'm looking at the 880 on Amazon...originally I was worried about battery life, but the 880 says it has a recharging station, which sounds great!

Ideas?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I only know the 628. I got it because it was on a terrific sale on amazon (probably a closeout). I recommend it...but I have limited exposure to other models.

The 880 is, I believe, the flagship model for the brand right now. I had heard a "1000" was due out, but I'm not sure it ever did and it was going to be pretty high end.

Re: the 880 docking station. There were early reports of problems with the remote itself making proper contact. But, I understand that was resolved quickly and the company was excellent about dealing with it.

Look HERE for a great pictorial review of each model. I think most people look to the button layout to help them figure out which one they'd like best. They're all just a little bit different.

BTW, don't know how your gear is set up...but if it is inside any kind of cabinet, the Harmony 890 has RF capabilities which allows the signals to pass through solid doors and such.

Good luck! You are probably gonna love whichever one you end up with! :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Mike, yeah, I saw the 1000 on Amazon for $500 :eek: That's a bit too much for me, but I think I might be able to swing the 880. My stuff is all in front off me, so no need for RF.

The 880 showed up as $148.48 (when I added it to my cart) and I got a $50 Visa gift card for Christmas, so I'll be able to swing the extra $100. I think I might just get that one.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That seems like a pretty darn good deal.

Honestly, though, I got my 628 for $30-something. I told you it was a good deal! :D

I don't know if deals like that come-and-go on certain models...but I haven't seen it since. I've looked because of all my friends and co-workers who've seen mine and wanted to jump on the same deal. Some were able to find it for about $50.

I've seen no negative reviews of the 880, though...and, frankly, the color screen looks way cool! Just think...if you go ahead with the purchase...you'll always be able to admire it and say to yourself: "yeah...and Frezon's just got a monochromatic screen on his 628!" :D

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jup
get the harman kardon tc30. same remote as the harmony (same remote different logo). also the h/k one has a colour screen better functions, and a charging cradle. i think its cheaper too

bartok

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed
I have to say that I absolutely love my Harmony remote. I am not sure how I got along without. The best part of this remote is when you upgrade your HT equipment. I recently bought a Samsung 50" plasma TV and a DVD recorder. You go online and delete the old equipment and enter in the new ones. The whole thing took about 10 minutes. The HD box got installed the next week, and removed the old and installed the new one. I can not say enough positive things about the remotes. It is so simple to use, and setup.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Crap. THIS PAGE shows the $119 @ Amazon for the 628 but with a $30 rebate that expired 1-15-07.

HERE is a Harmony 659 for $89.99!

Buy.com has it for about the same price. Newegg.com too. Maybe the 659 is the one to get the best deal on now.

That price for the 880 on amazon looks pretty good, Mark. But maybe you want to save a few bucks by going with a different model.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I might wait a little and see if I can find an Amazon coupon...you know, one of those "Get $10 off a $100+ electronics purchase" kind of deals...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Talk about crazy! I just checked on Amazon again and the price went from $148.48 to $155. :eek: but what's even MORE amazing is, that's the cheapest price I've really seen. CompUSA has it for $249!!!!! :eek: and so does Target.

I don't get it...$100 difference??? WTF?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That's why I said the amazon price on the 880 looked real good. You may want to snap it up....or save some bucks and maybe go with the 659. All depends on how much its worth to ya (as is the case with absolutely anything in life! ;) )

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mark: Look at this for an idea of some 880 prices.

Look closely at the pictures of the 880 and 659 in that link I posted earlier. You might actually like the raised buttons of the 659 better than the 880. Read some reviews, too (at that same website). There are also reviews at the website with the price comparisons I just posted in this link.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I have the 659. It's a great remote that I've been using for 4 years. The only drawback is the location of the Play, REW, FF, Pause, REC, STOP buttons at the very bottom of the remote. It's not a very natural position for pressing those buttons. It really requires the use of 2 hands.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, being concerned that Amazon might raise the price again, I bought it. :) The other thing that helped influence me was, Amazon had a $30 rebate form for it. :emoji_thumbsup: So I technically got it for $125. Not too bad.

Thanks to all for the help....and Mike, I'll try hard not to brag too much about the color screen. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks