Remotes: RF or IR?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by greg_mc, Feb 21, 2004.

1. greg_mc

greg_mc Extra

Dec 2, 2003
    Man, my head is spinning from all the choices for remote controls. What remote is the most practical to control AV gear, projector, curtains, and maybe even the lights? Heard good things about the Harmony SST-768 and the MX-800. Have not seen thread on remote control options.

Radio Frequency (RF) would be the ideal solution but all my gear is Infrared (IR). So the RF signal would have to be converted to IR. Then I would have to put those little IR repeaters on the front on each piece of equipment. Maybe I am missing something but just wondering what the most practical way to control all items with least number of remotes. I am still in build phase so can run low voltage wire from front of room to back if I install flush-mounted IR receiver. Can take signal to rack room and distribute from there. So, I am basically asking, "What all do I need to control everything with one remote? Thanks.
  2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    About the only reason to go RF is if you’ll be operating the remote out of range of the IR system or have the gear at the back of the room or in fully enclosed closet.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt
  3. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Apr 7, 2000
    That's exactly what RF capable remotes like the Mx-800, Mx-600 and some of the Pronto models do. They come with a base station that converts the RF to IR and then distributes the IR to your gear either with the stick on emitters or with the base station functioning as an IR blaster. I don't believe the SST-768 is RF capable.

No universal remote will control RF gear. They don't operate on the correct RF frequencies and can't learn the codes. With RF equipment, you're stuck with the original remote. Don't know about your curtains, if they're IR controlled a universal remote should work. Ceiling fans are almost always RF.

You mention a distributed IR (hard wired) solution. If done correctly, this would be more reliable than RF. You would need an IR receiver in every room that you're likely to use the remote. It's obviously more expensive however.

Jim L