Remotes/Pronto/MX500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Milak, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Rich Milak

Rich Milak Agent

Which one? I'm in $150 price range, any recomendations good or bad thanks.

Tsu 500

MX 500

Tsu 1000

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Rich: IMO, the BIG difference in choosing between the MX-500 and either of the Pronto's comes to touchscreen vs. buttons. (I do not like touchscreens. I didn't have to use one (I owned a Sony) very long to find I didn't like looking at the remote so much (when using functions other than basic volume or channel + or - .)) If you don't have much experience with any of the 3, try to go to a dealer to get a better look. There is quite a difference in how they fit in the hand and whether you'll need both hands to run them.

In th end, no matter which way you go, any of these 3 choices will run a multi-component system very well.

3. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Rich, I have the MX500 and wouldn't trade it for another remote.

One consideration would also be programming discrete codes. Check out http://www.bluedo.com for good deals on remotes. They have a MX500 packaged with a JP1 cable and a URC8811 remote for 153USD. The URC8811 connects to your PC via the JP1 cable and can be programmed that way. You then can learn all the codes into the MX500. Essentially you get the programmability of the MX700 for much less money.

Also see http://www.remotecentral.com and check out their forums, reviews and 'clicker picker'.

4. Rich Milak

Rich Milak Agent

Thanks Paul,
    I liked the 500 for the buttons but wanted to be able to prg.it also, and like you stated much less money than the 700. As far as I can see that is the main difference between the two. I'm sold and the price for both is much less than some of the 500's alone One call has the 500 alone for $160. They match prices and free ship so maybe I'll call them and see if they can beat that!
    Thanks, Rich[​IMG]

5. Chuck Kent

Rich: FWIW, BlueDo adds an additional year of warranty to 500's bought from them. And if you buy the 500 alone, they are MUCH lower than $160. I have bought 3 or 4 remotes from them and they are a good company to do business with.

Also, I have an MX-700 in addition to an MX-500. There is a good deal more to a 700 than just PC connectivity. The 700 can control up to 20 devices, and run rings around the 500 when it comes to macros/automation. Plus the 700 comes with a simple remote, the MX-200. It too can accomodate macros on every key and is very handy for just watching TV and such. I really like my 700 (and the 200.)

Still, don't get me wrong. When considering the dollars invested vs. the desired return, IMO, the 500 is THE best button remote currently available.

6. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

As I understand the MX-500 package with JP1 cable and a URC8811 provides the only means of connecting to PC & programming?

From what I have read it looks like the MX-500 on its own is not capable of this extra functionality. Is this correct?

TIA!

7. Chuck Kent

Piers: Well, officially, HTM did not intend for the MX-500 to be computer interfaced. But that doesn't mean it can't be if users are determined enough...

The JP1/URC8811 package is something clever users have come up with to teach the MX-500 discrete codes. Discrete codes can exist for some gear to make running a home theater much easier. One example would be distinct "on" and "off" codes for your receiver to make sure that the unit stays on or off when you want it to (such as using an automated macro.) But the JP1/URC8811 does not connect the MX-500 to a PC. So you have no upload or download capability.

However, as with the JP! group, a small group of very smart MX-500 users have come up with a true PC interface. It takes advantage of the MX-500's ability to copy itself (via the infrared emitters/receivers) to or from another MX-500. The website is at http://www.irclone.com/
    I have not yet used this program but at some point I plan to. Since the IRClone is very new, it may have some issues. But the creators seem committed to delivering a quality product. So keep that in mind if you consider buying it...

8. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Chuck, I downloaded and tried the beta (software) from irclone a few weeks ago. Haven't bought the IR receiver yet. Am waiting for the 'issues' you refer to have been worked out. Looks to be fairly reasonable to use. For now it's the OFA/JP1 route for me.

Piers, Chuck is correct, the JP1 allows the Universal Remote (One For All, a few Radio Shack units) to connect to the parallel port of a PC with a cable you can build or buy. You can program the Universal Remote in many ways (Brand codes or Discrete codes) on your PC with freely available software, then 'learn' those commands via IR to the MX500.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/

9. Piers C

Chuck & Paul,
    I really appreciate the time you took to answer my simple questions!

I'm new to universal remotes, and it looks like the MX-500 would be a good place to start.

Thanks for the background info.

10. Jerry Dreiss

Jerry Dreiss Stunt Coordinator

First, I second the recommendation of Bluedo. Very fast and friendly service. And one of the owners hangs out at Remotecentral answering questions.

Second, I got the Pronto 1000 a long time ago when it first came out, and love it. It is a very neat remote.
    But when it came time to get my 70 years old mom a remote I opted for the MX500. People with bad eyes should not use LCD remotes.
    Boy, is that MX500 great! Very easy to set up too. For discrete codes I simply programmed them into my Pronto and then used that to teach the MX500 the codes.

11. Joseph Howard

Joseph Howard Stunt Coordinator

The MX500 is the best remote I've ever used. But, I am also definately a "button" person. The remote does everything I've asked it to do including controlling the theater lights (w/ x10 devices) and the room's HVAC.

Not to mention the buttons can be learned to use in the dark and macros can be programed to set up every situation.

It is also the most intuitive push button programable remote I've tried.

I've played around with the Pronto and it ain't me.

So, with pure bias I say give the MX500 a try.

Dr. Joe

12. Piers C

It's not clear to me by looking at the MX-500 design & info if I can use this to replace existing Tivo2 remote. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks!

13. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

Just a thought,if your looking for a universal remote to run everything in your htb system.I would also look at the radioshack Kameleon technologies remote.Its a new type of touchscreen like an lcd,but with the feel of a button remote.Kameleon remote is nice and bright in a dark room and runs my tv,2 different receivers,dvd,stb,and vcr.All different brands.
    It can be software updated by phone,and the price,$60.

Happy shopping

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

another vote for the mx-500. it's so awesome it's silly....

seriously though, i don't forsee the need to ever buy another remote - it's already replaced eight of mine without a hitch.

15. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

I am also looking to get a multi-remote, but out of desperation. I dropped my Yamaha RX-V995 remote in a bucket of water. It is dead.

Do I need the old remote to "teach" the multi-remote?

16. Chuck Kent

"a bucket of water" ???? I'm not going to ask. :b

The MX-500 doesn't have to have the original remote but using the original will allow a much more customized MX-500. I have read that if you can take a water soaked remote apart and let it dry for a few days, it will often recover. But I've never tried it...

17. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

I rolled my ankle and messed it up. I was on crutches for a while. This bucket, actually a lobster pot, was on the floor in front of my sofa, so I could soak my foot while watching tv. All the remotes are on a table next to it. I either bumped the table when getting up, or something similiarly stupid...

18. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Philip, as Chuck said it's easier to use the learn function rather than preprogrammed codes. If your old remote is in fact dead, might I suggest going to a local dealer with your new remote and asking if you can 'learn' from a unit in the store - if you can find one the same as your old unit that is.

Go for the MX-500, you won't be disappointed.

19. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Piers C -

The MX-500 is the preferred remote among Tivo users. I've been operating a couple of them for years with the 500 (and now the MX-700). The 5-way thumbpad surrounded by transport controls makes it perfect for any PVR.

Philip -

The MX-500 code database will handle many of the Yamaha's functions, and you can always take Paul's suggestion and learn the rest in a store that carries your receiver.

20. Piers C

MikeSRC,
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my question on using the MX-500 with Tivo! This confirmation and this is a big help.

Very much appreciated!