Remotes for 57HW40 or 51HW40

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave F, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Can anyone suggest a good remote for the Sony 57HW40 or 51HW40? The main thing that I am looking for is a remote that has a discrete code for selecting a specific pic mode and a specific video input, rather than cycling through them all.

I read that the Sony VL900 can select a specific input, but I haven't heard of any other remotes that can do this.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Dave,

Any remote that is capable of doing macros can probably at least simulate what you want. Many TV's will go to say input #1 (or whatever) when you hit the channel + or - key. If it does, a macro like channel +, input, input, would take you to input #3.

In order to go directly to a specific input the manufacturer had to design a discrete code for this function. If there is such a code, and you can find out what it is, it can be programmed into any remote that is programmable by PC. My 51HW40 is being delivered on Thursday - I also own a pronto, maybe I can help more by the weekend.

Jim L

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Jim,

Let me know what you find out. I haven't been able to find much information, and haven't seen any postings of discrete codes. The only thing that I've been able to find is people that have used the VL900 and recorded the signal. (this was over at hometheaterspot.com) I guess the VL900 would be okay, but I'd miss the nifty joystick on the 57HW40 remote.

Thanks,
    -Dave

4. Jim Lenneman

Dave,

Well, I put out some feelers over at remotecentral.com and the good news is I have discrete codes for Video 1 thru 6 as well as tuner (as well as disrete power on/off, discrete screen modes etc). Haven't tried them yet since my TV won't be here until Thurs. The bad news is that these are codes for my Pronto, and are in hexidecimal format. If you know someone with a Pronto I'll send you the codes, they can be entered into the Pronto via computer. At this point, any learning capable remote should be able to capture them.

Jim L

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Jim, you are the man! [​IMG] With the codes that you have, can they be entered into other remotes as well? I'm looking at the Home Theater Master MX-500, but if the codes work only with a Pronto, that would sway my decision.
    Thanks,
    Dave

6. Jim Lenneman

Dave,

Well, that's the rub. The codes used in a Pronto are based on a hexidecimal system. IF another remote also uses this system AND you have a way to manually enter the codes (such as a PC and software interface to the remote), then yes they can. If these codes are loaded in a Pronto they could also be taught to any learning capable remote. E.g. here is the hexidecimal code for Video 1:

0000 0067 0000 000d 0061 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0030 0018 0030 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 043a

I don't know of any way to get them into an MX-500 other than the 500 learning the codes from another remote. As I understand it the 500 doesn't use a PC interface and in any event it probably doesn't use hexidecimal format. From what I've read the 500 gets it's codes either through learning from another remote or from it's preprogrammed data base. It does do macros however. As I said in my first post you could probably use a macro to simulate the discrete codes.

As far as deciding on a remote, some people like hard buttons and some like touchscreens. I love my Pronto (actually it's the Marantz color version of a Pronto Pro) but hard buttons vs touchscreens is a personal preference kind of decision.

Jim L

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Jim,

Did this end up working for you? I'm considering ordering a Pronto, but I thought I see how well it is working with your tv first...

Thanks,
    Dave

8. Jim Lenneman

Dave,

Yep, works like a charm. Video 1 through 6 and tuner have discrete codes. As far as the widescreen modes go, normal and wide zoom have disrete codes, full and zoom do not. Full mode can be achieved with a simple macro of "normal, and then wide mode toggle", and zoom would be "normal, toggle, toggle. Don't have discretes for the pic modes, but I am only using "pro" anyway so who cares.

Jim L

9. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Thanks for the advice Jim - I ordered a TSU2000 today. [​IMG]
    -Dave