Remote

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by CalvinCarr, Jun 1, 2004.

1. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

I want to get satellite service but don't want to get a box for each room. Someone recommended hooking the main box to my bedroom and use a remote to control it from the main room. Does anyone know of a good remote that goes through walls?

2. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

Get a box that includes an RF remote (use that one in the remote room) and then get a cheap programmable IR remote to use in the room with the box. I suggest placing the box with the most used (or better tv set so you can hook it up s-video for better pic) and then run coax (RF) to the secondary set.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Calvin,

Dean’s advice is spot-on. Keep in mind, however, that this will not give you independent control; you’ll be getting the same channel in both rooms.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Both of the big mini-dish providers are offering 3 recievers for the price of one. They do charge about $5/month for each additional reciever, but this is not much.

As a suggestion, go with the Dish package that includes 1 PVR (for your main room) and 2 ordinary recievers for the bedroom. Or just get the PVR. It's remote is RF so it works through walls.

(Trust me: once you have tried one of these Tivo/PVR/DVR systems - you will never go back to live TV.)

If you decide to go with DirectTV - look into the DirectTivo recievers.

5. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

Does anyone have a recomendation on a remote?

6. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Depending on which box you get, you could use something like the Remote Long Ranger Xtender with the remote that comes with the sat box (if it uses AA batteries). Otherwise, your lowest cost option for an RF remote would probably be a One for All 9910/UEI HT Pro. Moving up in price (over $100) would take you to a Home Theater Master MX-600 or one of the URC remotes.