What's new

Remote Switch Boxes? (1 Viewer)

Hey all,

I am in the process of building my first real HT system. I listen to music and watch a lot of DVDs, so these are both priorities.

Additionally, I work in the game industry so it's important to me to have quite a few video game consoles connected. Most of these are just S-Video and composite audio, which is fine. Two of the systems are component/optical.

My receiver will handle the majority of the switching work, but doesn't have nearly enough inputs to cover everything, which means using switch boxes.

Another priority of mine is have as many functions macro accessible as possible - one button and everything sets itself to the PS2 for audio/video. Another button, it goes to the DVD. To my understanding, this means remote controlled switch boxes.

I am not sure how to connect everything in an efficient manner though. I have a fairly good learning remote so long macros don't bother me.

My receiver is a Yamaha HTR-5550 with the following inputs.

- DVD (Component, S-Vid, Composite, Optical)
- CBL (Component, S-Vid, Composite, Optical)
- VCR (S-Video, Composite)
- AUX (Composite)
- CD (Composite, Coaxial, Optical)
- MD (Composite, Optical)

I need to connect the following devices to this:

- DVD (Component, Optical)
- DirecTV (S-Video, Optical)
- VCR (Composite)

- XBox (Component, Optical)
- PS2 (Component, Optical)
- GameCube (S-Video, Composite)
- PS1 (S-Video, Composite)
- Dreamcast (S-Video, Composite)
- N64 (S-Video, Composite)

- AudioTron MP3 (Composite or Optical)
- CD-Changer (Composite or Optical)

So, in total, I'm trying to put nine A/V devices into four video inputs, and two audio only devices into two audio inputs. Factor in the myriad number of connection types and it becomes pretty hard to work with.

I figure I'll nead at least two switch boxes to pull it off, but even then I'm not sure what will need to be put into each switch box.

Basically, I'm having a really hard time wrapping my brain around this.

Any ideas?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Randolph. Welcome to HTF! :)
This thread on Inexpensive HD Switching has links to three good manufacturers of switches.
But you have some other issues:
You posted your video options, but not your AUDIO options. (Yes, you want them to go together).
Things like the VCR and some of the game systems have L/R audio. But the PS2 & XBox give you digital (optical for both I think).
We have not even gotten to the extra twist of perhaps a HDTV in the near future and the DVD player and XBox can produce progressive video.
First: Go to Radio Shack and buy one of their $20 Composite to SVideo converters. No, the quality is not great, but now you dont have to worry about ANY Composite feed. Only SVideo and Component.
Buy 1 4-iput remote controlled Component video switcher for:
DVD, XBox, PS2
Now you need to find a similar SVideo switcher for:
Direct TV, Game Cube, PS1, DreamCast, N64
(Do you REALLY ever uses that PS1?)
Using these 2 switchers, feed 1 Component input and 1 SVideo input on the receiver. Then you need to run Component & SVideo to the TV.
The two audio devices are simply plugged straight to the receiver as no video comes from them.
Good Luck.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the great information! That helps quite a bit.

Based on what you've said, the only thing I'm unsure how to handle is audio. My apologies for not having a more clear description earlier.

The PS2, XBX, DVD and DirecTV all use optical audio cables. I'm not too concerned about the PS2, but the other three I would really like to have digital audio.

The switches you mentioned should handle all the video feeds, but this still leaves me unsure what to do with my audio sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks