What's new

Remote Range and B&K (1 Viewer)

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
Hope someone can give me a suggestion on this minor problem. I use a MX-500 remote with a B&K receiver. From my seating position of 12 feet from the receiver on the right side of the couch, my remote will not control the B&K which is to my left at maybe 45 degrees. unless I hold it about three feet to my left and in the wife's face. Oddly enough, my wife resists trading seats where the remote works just fine. :frowning: The remote has no problem controlling the digital cable box, vcr or dvd player which are on the same rack. I have angled the receiver slightly in my direction but don't want to angle more for aesthetic reasons. Any suggestions to get control of the receiver? :frowning:

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
The Mx-500 has pretty powerful IR emitters - 12 feet should be no sweat. This suggests one of two things:

1 - Learn the codes directly into the 500, or learn them again if you learned them initially. When you do, first try just a short tap on the OEM remote. If that doesn't work, try a press and hold until the 500 says GOOD. I know you said it works fine from a different angle, but it's worth a try.

2 - Something is interferring with your line of sight to the receivers IR eye. It could be that the eye is recessed in the receiver, which makes your angle too severe to be received. If this is the case, there are several things you could do ranging from the strange/unsightly (using a mirror to bounce the IR into the eye), to the somewhat expensive (using an external IR receiver like a dinky link or hot link pro).

Hope this helps a little,

Jim L

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jim. I will try your suggestion. Any links regarding a source for a IR receiver you suggest if the relearning is not successful?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks