What's new

Remote Question (1 Viewer)

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Can I get a remote for under 150 dollars that would control the TV, amplifier, DVD player, DSS system, and the house lights?
Can anyone suggest which one?
Thanks!!!

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Home Theater Master MX-500 $124.95 at BlueDo.com. I can't imagine my home theater without it. Check here to see if your lighting system is listed in the pre-programmed codes. If it is not listed, you can always use the learning function to teach the MX-500.

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
Mx-500 is an excellent remote, and probably can't be beat at that price point. You can probably find it a little cheaper (e-tronics), but Randy and BlueDo provide excellent customer service. Be sure to check out his "tips" for programming the 500.

Jim L

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Hey, guys, thanks for your response. Can I just get the MX-500 or do I need to get accessories such as the ones that are listed under Bluedo.com namely:

MX-500, URC-8811 and JP1 Cable

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I think you will be all set with just the remote (see my link a few posts above). That's all I have and mine cost about $150 last winter.

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
Go without it at least to start. One of the few limitations of the 500 is that it won't accept "advanced codes" (4 digit codes for a single button function) nor does it have a computer interface. The URC 8811 and cable allows you to overcome this limitation. Useful for discrete codes such as power on and power off, receiver modes and inputs. Many times these codes are not in the database nor are they available on your original remote.

Jim L

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Will it learn every function for the TV and DVD player, or will I have to occasionally pull out my old remotes to do things such as changing from anamorphic to flat video, or to go from Full Screen to Theater Wide (Zoom)?

Luis C

Stunt Coordinator
Gerardo,

The MX-500 will do practically anything you need it to. I am operating a pretty sophisticated HT setup (including three seperate macro turn-on and turn-off settings) entirely thru one. And this includes two seperate TV's, lighting, drapes, etc.

It actually has FAR more functionality than most people will ever need. Especially for the price...

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I don't use any of my old remotes with one exception. I still use my 2-way CD changer remote on occasion, as it displays the names of all CDs (I don't know of any 2-way universal remotes that display info from a CD changer).

I have several macros:
One switches from all off, to receiver on, select DVD on receiver, turn on TV, go to DVD input, DVD player on, open DVD tray.

Another does the same, except switches from cable TV to DVD.

One turns the receiver on, selects the CD input, turns on th eCD player and begins playing.

The last one I have switches from 4:3 mode to 16:9 mode on my 36XBR450 TV (for progressive DVD).

Like Luis said, I don't think there is much that you can't do with this remote.

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
The only remote(s) it won't replace are things like your ceiling fan, or drapes, because these things are normally (but not always) RF rather than IR controlled. No learning remote can learn RF codes.

Some Kenwood gear (if I remember right) and many DSS boxes use RF but also have the option for IR. Just don't try to learn the RF codes, use the IR mode instead.

Jim L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks