What's new

Remote question ... (1 Viewer)

John Spicer

Agent
Im not the only one here that has a Sony monitor so here is the question. Assuming that you are using your monitor for some (if not all) of the video source switching how do you get the macro remotes to choose the appropriate video source ?

Heres a little more detail. With my Sony trinitron you push the "video" button on the remote once to go to the next source. Naturally, depending on what the last source was you could have a different number of button pushes to get to the DVD player, or the PlayStation, etc.

How do you get the programmables with macros, etc. to reliably go to "video 4". Without that capability it seems to me the whole macro concept goes out of the window.

-- John

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
John,
I don't know how your Sony works, but I found one trick that will work on some TVs. If I push the channel up/down button on the remote for my Panasonic TV in the bedroom, the TV will automatically go to the antenna input no matter where it started from. This will always put the TV in the same position in the input chain. From there, just count how many presses of the input button you need to get to each input. For instance a macro would be: 1-channel up 2-input button for S-vid or 1-channel up 2-input 3-input for component. You can try this, it may work for you.
JEff

Rick Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
John,
Some TV's (and other) equipment have discrete codes. Discrete means they perform a single specific function. In other words, there may be a single discrete IR command that will set the TV to Video1 and another discrete IR command for Video2 and still others for each of the other inputs. Discretes also allow for Power On and Power Off. Usually a OEM TV remote may just have a toggle button - one press turns it on and another press turns it off. Discretes, if available for your set, will allow you to program a button that will always turn your set on, set input, set video source, etc. and with a off discrete will allow you to turn your set and video source off with one press. Without discretes, if programmed with a toggle on/off, you could have a situation where you turn the TV off and the video source on (or vice versa). This can occur if you accidentally turn the remote away from the TV after pressing the on macro button. Future presses will have one off and one on. With discretes, another press of the on button will turn everything on (and if on, won't turn something off).
Hope this helps. For more info check out www.remotecentral.com :emoji_thumbsup:
BTW, the best button (as opposed to touchscreen)remote is the MX-700. :D
Hope this helps.

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
Press the TV/Video button and the number 1-5 at the same time. If you press TV/Video and 3, you get Video 3. So that is how you use it in a macro.

At least that is the way it works with my Sony RM-VL900 remote and Sony 27FS13 TV.

One quirky thing about this on my set is that it doesn't work for some reason for Video 5. So for that macro I use "TV/Video" + "4", then hit the "TV/Video" button again to go to Video 5.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
The TV/Video button + a number button does not work on my new 20" Sony. I don't know on how many models it would. This is the first time I have read that this method would work.

As Rick notes, pure discrete codes for nearly all of the Sony video inputs are available from a couple different sources at remotecentral.com. That's where I got my codes from...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks