Remote power for non trigger amplifiers? (IR or RS232 Remote control of 6 strip?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Woodrow, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for a remote way to cut power to my amps and other components using a remote or from my HTPC. Because I don't have a receiver or preamp with triggers, that option is not available to me. Is anyone aware of a powerstrip, or power conditioner product, that has IR remote control or RS-232 serial port control?

Let me know -- thanks.

- Ken

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Ken,

I too had hoped to find something like this but have had little luck. What I would love to see would be a 4-6 outlet device (rack mount would be good) that could take on/off discrete commands for each of the outlets. I would love to be able to macro power for video game systems and other stuff without remote power...

So far it seems the old solution would be X-10 appliance modules. These should work for your issue, and are heavy duty so they can work with amplifiers...

-Vince

3. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Ken,
    If your receiver has a switched outlet in the back, you can use a 12 volt transformer to trigger your amp. If you need to trigger more devices, connect the leads to 12v triggered powerstrips like the Niles AC3, Russound ACT-1, or Xantech AC1.

4. Chris Purvis

Chris Purvis Stunt Coordinator

I also had the same problem with my power amps. I ended up buying an IR Systems AC-IR. It's a single outlet. but you can just plug a power strip into it to turn on multiple devices. At like $150.00 it wasn't cheap, but it does have discrete power on and off IR codes which was the feature I wanted most. I don't recall finding any other device like this that had that feature. This was back in 1999 so they may or may not be available now, and new stuff may have come out since then.

5. Richard_M

Richard_M Second Unit

I know this won't help you due to the different voltages, but this is what I am using, and I'm sure you may find a similar product in the states.
    Remote Powerpoint
    I have it programed into my Marantz 5000i controller so it turns the devices on & off automatically
    Richard