Remote? Onkyo 595, Sony VL900, Pronto 1000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulShady, Dec 9, 2001.

1. PaulShady

PaulShady Agent

Hey guys, what do you think? I have a JVC VCR, Cable box, Sony B3 sat. rec, Hitachi TV, Onkyo 555 DVD, and an Onkyo 595 rec. (ordered), as my setup. My question is do you think I need a universal remote such as the Sony VL900 or Pronto 1000, or is the Onkyo's remote good enough? I see that it is universal and has learning capabilty. But, would just like a few other opinions.
    Any 595 owners out there? Please let me know what ya think.
    Thanks,
    Paul[​IMG]

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I set up a HT for a friend, and we got him the 595, along with JVC DVD player, Panasonic VCR (already had), and a Sony projector.

I thought about using the Onkyo remote, but in the end, I found it was a lot easier to just use a RadioShack 15-1994 remote. We taught it everything we needed to for everyday operations, and for the most part 95% of the time, the other remotes sit around.

I would just wait until you get the Onkyo 595, see how good the remote does with your particular setup, then decide if it's worth it to look at another remote. FWIW, the RadioShack remote does a great job for my friend. Just took me a little while to program it, that's all.

3. PaulShady

PaulShady Agent

Thanks for the quick reply Richard. Yeah, I'm sure I'll wait an see how the 595 works out, I'm just Soooo anxious to get it, I'm way ahead of myself!:b

About the RS remote, I read somewhere, (maybe here), that it runs out of macros or memory or something? (not sure). But I guess with the few HT things I have, maybe it will be just fine.

Onkyo 595 receiver

Onkyo 555 DVD

Hitachi Ultravision Television

JVC VCR

Sony B3 Sat. receiver

I just need that glow/back-light remote because alot of the TV viewing is at night. Im unsure if the 595 glows or is backlit.

Thanks,

Paul

4. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

The remote that comes with the 595 is backlit. It's an extremely nice remote, and I like it better than my Radio Shack 15-1994. The Radio Shack remote isn't made any more, by the way, and has been replaced by a remote that isn't as good.

I would say try the Onkyo remote for awhile. If you do decide to replace it, my recommendation would be the Home Theater Master MX-500, which is the remote to beat right now. You can find it pretty easily online for $125.

5. Myles

Myles Agent

Actually, I have an Integra 5.2 which is similar to the 595. The remotes are the same only mine is backlit (595's isn't). The remote is actually very capable. I have mine set up to run my Sony TV, Sony hi-fi VCR, Pioneer DVD player, Sony CD-player, Starchoice Satellite system(I'm in Canada). It has some nice Macro features. For example, I hit one button and it turns all my components on and sets the receiver into the correct mode/volume. While my Sat remote will work the TV, the Sat, and the receiver and is UHF, I find myself using the Onkyo remote the most. It also has the ability to allow you to say watch and listen to a DVD while you cue up a CD or change channels on the Satellite. I think you'll like it.[​IMG]

6. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Myles,

How do you like the Integra 5.2. I am thinking of buying one. what kind of speakers are you running? I am mostly wondering if it has enough headroom to really power 5 speakers well. I listened to it while it was connected to inefficient speakers (86db) and it didn't get that loud. I am planning on connecting it to 90 or 91db speakers and was wondering how it will sound.

Thanks

Nick L

7. Myles

Myles Agent

The Integra 5.2 is a very nice receiver....and it's cool looking besides. It has plenty of power! I'm running PSB and Axiom speakers/Sub and my wife is constantly telling me to turn it down.

The biggest thing is the lack of pre-outs. If this isn't an issue then it's a great receiver.