What's new

rEMOTE NEEDS AND DESIRES, TOP TO BOTTOM (1 Viewer)

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
I DON'T WANT THIS THREAD TO MENTION BRAND NAMES, but I would like to develop an idea of what features (in order of relative importance) we need/desire in a remote. I don't often place the remote control that an a/v receiver has anywhere near the status/importance of "sound quality" or "build quality" etc., but I need some feedback on what the "enthusiasts" deem important...ie; this is not my order but just an example

LEARNING

WELL LIGHTED

MACRO ENABLED

DIRECT VOLUME ACSESS FOR ALL CHANNELS

LCD DISPLAY FOR DISPLAYING CONTROLED UNITS NAME

LARGER BUTTONS

HIDDEN LESSER USED FUNCTION KEYS

ONE HAND OPERABLE

Mike_A

Stunt Coordinator
computer interface for complete customization!
wait, that sounds like a JP1 remote ;)

Bob Christensen

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO, learning is important, but programming using discrete codes is much more efficient and effective. Ease of use (after programming) would probably be THE most important thing. This includes a sensible button layout, shaped buttons for “tactile recognition” of buttons in the dark and without looking, good lighting, punch through volume and channel controls, macro capabilities, all buttons reasignable/macro capable, good documentation/support (often through user group), sensible size, heft, covering, good button “feel” (not mushy, shouldn’t have to hold too long). Perhaps the best “test” is when a guest comes over and can easily begin playing a DVD when the system is on Sat, or when somebody can easily set the Tivo or VCR to record a show. Spouses and children get used to some pretty funky remote setups, the true test is when somebody new to the system (especially if not “into” HT) can easily navigate the system.

How about a “remote page” like my wireless phone? Anybody else have teenage kids who wander off with the remote, put it down someplace, and then leave with friends?? Where the heck is that darned remote?

Oh, the JP1 should be standard on all remotes, too. Sweet.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
In no particular order:
  • learning capability: must be able to program any button, with a large memory
  • lighted: obvious...
  • tactile feedback: must have a good "click feel"...i prefer something with a "strong" click
  • labeling capability: if you can rename buttons, that's very useful
  • balance: must feel good in your hand (ahem...)
  • durability: it's gotta feel like it can be dropped
  • discrete code capability: screw that toggling on/off crap...
  • layout: it's gotta make some sense...did i mention this one already?
to me, they're all important factors. it's surprising how many remotes i've messed with that just don't make any sense.
cough...cough...mx-500....cough....cough....great remote...cough...cough... :)

AllenD

Second Unit
I'll rank what you've suggested and add some of my own.

1. ergonomic: most remotes are just plain uncomfortable to use. I'd like to see hard buttons laid out to the shape of my thumb's movement. This might sound a little odd but a remote shaped like a left parentheses might be more comfortable to hold. Especially when I'm converging my HD set.

2. "layout: it's gotta make some sense...did i mention this one already?"

3. "balance: must feel good in your hand (ahem...)" This could be considered ergonomic but weight balance should be considered as well.

4. "learning capability: must be able to program any button, with a large memory"

5. HTPC friendly. I can't program my HTM MX-500 to push ctrl-alt-t (refresh Powerstrip timing) when watching in 1920x1080i resolution, unless I use my wireless keyboard.

6. "discrete code capability: screw that toggling on/off crap..." I wish!. My WS65807 doesn't have discrete codes for each input that I'm aware of. All else (ie. AVR listening modes: stereo, direct, THX, default surround) works great.

7. "lighted: obvious..."

8. "tactile feedback: must have a good "click feel"...i prefer something with a "strong" click" I tend to lay my remote next to me where I sit. I don't want any accidental "clicks."

9. "HIDDEN LESSER USED FUNCTION KEYS" The learning capability should be handle this as mentioned above. But what sets #3 apart from 8 is #3 also mentions memory.

10. "LCD DISPLAY FOR DISPLAYING CONTROLED UNITS NAME" This is all too important, and a nice feature on my MX-500's lcd display.

11. Rechargeable battery capability.

12. "durability: it's gotta feel like it can be dropped"

13. Combination on soft and hard buttons.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
great listing!!!! a keeper...

what about RF ,anyone care?

I need one that can learn all the RF comands of my sat receivers indepedantly...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks