What's new

remote light control (1 Viewer)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
are there any devices available that allow remote turn on / off of light switches? i'm not looking for a remote dimmer...just on and off. i remember seeing a $20 device a lowes about a year ago (been kicking myself for not buying it ever since) that allowed you to program any ir remote button to turn the light on / off. i think it included a dimmer too but like i said...i'm not concerned about dimming. thanks for any help you fellas can provide.

kevin t

Phong

Agent
Look at the X10 Firecracker system for your remote lighting needs.
http://www.x10.com/firecracker/fc_offer_br1ab.htm
You can get better deals on the starter sets if you check the website often. (They are on sale a lot for $20 or so.) My friend has a set, and has all the lights in his house wired up. It's pretty neat.
You can also buy an IR receiever for the X10 system, and you can program any programmable remote to turn on and off the lights as well.

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Try smarthome.com. They have everything for the home that can be automated or remote controlled.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Kevin:
If you don't intend to interface with your computer, you don't need the Firecracker.
You might want to check something like this:
http://www.x10.com/products/x10_HK10A2.htm
Then you can buy extra controller modules for as many different lights as you need to control. I also have a heavy-duty one connected to my 5-channel amp (because it doesn't have a DC trigger.) I can fire up the whole system without so much as lifting the weight off my couch cheeks. :D
This is a nice universal remote (although I prefer their old 8-in-one remote) and it allows you to control your house lighting from the remote.
I always have to laugh when new people come over to the house and they see me turn lights on/off with my remote control. It's always an eye popper for them. :)
Radio Shack carries a lot of this X-10 stuff, too.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
thank you all so much for the information. i'd especially like to thank ken smith for recommending smarthome.com. that's where i found the EXACT item i was referring to from lowes. pretty simple and uninteresting but completely functional for what i need. here's the item in question. thanks all.
kevin t

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks