What's new

Remote IR (1 Viewer)

TroyPS3

Auditioning
Real Name
Troy Nieto
I am trying to setup a system in my garage where I have a projector connected to my 400-disc DVD player and my Direct TV. I plan on splitting the HDMI signal from my DVD player so I can watch it in the garage or the living room. The same goes for the satellite except one device will use the RCA and the other will use the coaxial cable. I think I have everything figured out except:

What would be the best projector to buy for a desent price? (Around the $1000 range)

How can I control the DVD Player and Satellite from my garage without moving those devices?

What would be the best speakers to buy for a desent price? (Around the $100-$500 range)

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 Surround Sound Speaker System in Home Theater Speaker Kits at JR.com

Do you have a receiver?

Projector: this Panasonic PT-AX200U Projector
or this Epson Home Cinema 720 Projector would be the best, however it's over $1k, so this Optoma HD72 Projector or this Mitsubishi HC1500 Projector would be within budget. You can check out most of the reviews on these at Projector Reviews: Latest Home Theater Projectors and LCD, DLP Business Projector Reviews lots of screen shots and detailed information.

Remote: you need either a RF (radio frequency) remote like the higher end Logitechs or ones from Universal Remote Control (RF10, RF20, RF30 etc) Amazon.com: URC RFS200 PowerPak Bundle w/ MasterControl RF20 and PowerBlaster: Electronics , or you need an IR repeater system which you can get from www.partsexpress.com and other home automation places Hidden IR System - Home Theater Infrared Distribution System .

You have a screen?

TroyPS3

Auditioning
Real Name
Troy Nieto
Thank you so much for the info. As for the Remote, I have a Harmony 880 and love it. Therefore, I will be buying another Harmony 880 for the garage, will this do?

And yes I would like to have a motorized screen or just a plain one.

TroyPS3

Auditioning
Real Name
Troy Nieto
I thought I had already replied but nothing came up so I'll try again.

I have the Harmony 880 in my living room and I plan on getting another one of these for the garage. If I have this then what else will I need to make it work with having the actual Satellite receiver and DVD player in the living room 100 ft. away.

I do plan on getting a screen but at this point I'm unsure if I want a plain one or motorized one. Can't I fasten a screen to the wall?(i.e. silicon or something else)

For a better picture from a projector, the higher the lumens the better? Or higher contrast?

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
You will need an IR repeater system like I posted above to receive the signal from your 880 in the garage and "repeat" the signal to your receiver/sat/dvd player in the other room. The screen is up to you. There's everything from DIY screen "goo" Screen Goo, Projector screen paint, Goo Systems and supplies. to a fixed screen (Elite screens are pretty cheap) to a motorized screen Focupix HDVio Electric Screen with RF Remote — Audioholics Home Theater Reviews and News it's really a personal preference as well as budget. As far as the projector goes, lumens is how bright it will be and contrast is the difference between how dark and light the image will be. So higher contrast will look better. However, manufacturers measure contrast differently so you can't compare contrast between them. Check out that projector reviews site I posted and look at the projectors in your budget. There's plenty of information there as well as screen shots. Each projector has it's own pros and cons and you just have to decide what's important to you. Is placement flexibility an issue? Do you have ambient light or will all the lights be off? How often do you want to replace the bulb? etc etc.

TroyPS3

Auditioning
Real Name
Troy Nieto
Thank you everyone for your replies because I am at least having a general feeling as to what I will be needing. I know that I will be getting the Harmony 895 because this will solve my repeater needs. I will be getting the Panasonic PT-AX200U due to cost and lumens.

However, I’m still stuck on speakers. The Onkyo listed is probably too much speaker for what I intend using it for. I would like 2 good slim tower speakers. Good mid-range and bass is important. I do have a powered sub-woofer that I will be connecting with the system; it is a 12” MTX SW2 powered sub-woofer. What would be my best bet on the tower speakers?

I’m being told that I need a receiver also. Is an Insignia 500W – 5.1 Channel A/V Home Theater Receiver NS-R5101 any good?

On the connection of all these devices, I’m kind of confused. Is this how it should be connected?

DVD Player HDMI Outputs > HDMI Splitter > Living Room TV
> Automatic HDMI Selector

Satellite HDMI Outputs > HDMI Splitter > Living Room TV
> Automatic HDMI Selector

Playstation 3 >Automatic HDMI Selector

Automatic HDMI Selector Output > HDMI Splitter > Projector
> Receiver > Speakers

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are all of the A/V sources in the same location? How about a 4 input/2 ouput HDMI matrix switcher. I use one from Monoprice. My Harmony 880 has no problem controlling it either.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks