Remote Dimmer

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Rick Thoms, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Rick Thoms

Rick Thoms Agent

At Home Depot they have a remote control dimmer ,not sure of the brand. It's about 68$can and I was wondering If you can program a universal remote to act like the one it comes with, thanks.

2. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

You are speaking of the Lutron. If you have a learning remote you use it to control this dimmer.

3. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
  4. Darren McGruther

Darren McGruther Stunt Coordinator

great dimmer. I'm using it in my theater and I have it running through my Sony remote, works great

5. Rick Thoms

Rick Thoms Agent

I'm wondering are they all on different codes. If I buy 2 can I control them seperatly.Thanks. I have the MX500 remote.Also does this dimmer have memory settings you can go to?thanks

6. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

Rick, the dimmer in question, (I can't remember the product #) is pretty much the cheapest remote dimmer that Lutron makes.
    All codes are the same, but you pretty much need to point the remote directly at the dimmer switch. So you could control two switches individually in the same room if they were placed in different locations.

It will remember the setting you left it at, but that's it.
    When you turn off the lights you can either choose a 3 second or 10 second delay.

All in all, it's a very good dimmer. Suits my needs perfectly and super easy to install.

7. DustinT

DustinT Agent

I would make one suggestion.
    Do not put the same setup in more than room if your remote has the capabilities of sending signal without actually being pointed at the device.

The house we moved into a year and a half ago has a remote light dimmer/on/off set up in the downstairs (t.v. room) and up stairs bedroom. it is a poor quality one for sure. hit the button down stairs and all the sudden the light upstairs is going on and off.

Also, it requires the light switch to be on for the remote to work, but if you flip the light switch on, you still have to use the remote to turn on the light. if you lose the remote you lose the light. it blows.

I'm sure this is a very low quality (and old) setup, i have read about better setups on home-automation sites, so i'm not trying to scare you away completely, just warn [​IMG]

8. Orlando

Orlando Stunt Coordinator

I'm using the Lutron as well and it is great. I have a learning remote One for All Kameleon that I "taught". definitely worth it.