1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

remote dimmer for lamp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Samonte, May 23, 2002.

1. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Is there a remote dimmer for lamps other than the X10 modules? I seem to be having difficulties with X10 these days, sometimes responding, at times not at all. I would also like an IR responding thingy......so I can just use any remote and not have to buy a converter or what not.

2. Leo A. Chimo

Leo A. Chimo Agent

Eric-

If your X10 is intermittently responding, you might have a device causing interference on the line. I had a house with about 15 X-10 devices, and one day 4 of them stopped responding (most of the time). I later discovered that a small tv that I plugged into my kitchen (directly into the outlet) was generating interference that caused part of the house to stop working. I corrected this problem by first plugging the tv into a good surge protector. This had the effect of stopping the tv from spreading interference to the rest of the house.

Chimo

3. RoyB

RoyB Extra

I just installed a remote dimmer for my living room chandelier and it works great...what a cool feature! I bought it at home depot and it replaces the wall switch. It works even better than I had hoped.

Roy

4. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Its really a cool thing, especially when doing a demo for guest. But I'm stuck with using lamps in the living room and I was hoping there a better remote dimmer than X10's.