What's new

Remote Desktop Help? (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I think I've tried everything on the planet. I've tried everything i can find on the net. I've tried voodoo and chanting...

Error: "The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection. Please try connecting again later. If the problem continues to occur, contact your administrator."

- Yes the machine I'm trying to connect to is running XP Pro, and remote desktop is enabled.

- Yes I checked windows firewall on both the outgoing and incoming machines. Both have remote desktop exception. I have also tried turning off win firewall on both machines. No luck.

- The laptop (the machine I'm trying to use to connect to my desktop) is able to connect via remote desktop to OTHER machines on my network. So the router is not blocking traffic.

- I have tried connecting using the machine's local IP and it's windows name... neither work.

- The laptop sees the machine, it is able to ping it. Also, if I try to remote desktop to it when it is OFF, I get a different message... the error above only happens when the machine is actually on and ready to receive connections.

Any thoughts on what else i could try? I tried cahnging the ip address of the desktop, but it did nothing different. I tried flushdns, and restarting my router. No luck.

-V

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I know this isn't the answer you're looking for at all, but I had the same problem as you and this is what worked for me:

use www.gotomypc.com or www.logmein.com

Like I said, probably not what you're looking for, but they worked for my needs and may provide a temporary solution for you.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I've been using the free version of Log Me In from www.logmein.com
and it works well for remote control access between machines.

You can't copy files between the two machines (the Pro version can do this) but for basic remote control it does the job.

I remember having some trouble using Firefox with Logmein and so it's one of the only apps I use IE for. I'll have to try it with Firefox again since there have been some updates to Firefox since I installed logmein.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Sometimes happens to me; the solution so has been to reboot the computer I'm trying to remote control... not the best choice in many situations.

You might also consider http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net

Yes, it's another server to install on your computer(s), but the performance of UltraVNC is superb (original VNC was always very sluggish) and it is entirely free. I'm using it myself on certain machines.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks