What's new

Remote cross talking, what to do? (1 Viewer)

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I have 2 Sony DVD players (a changer and a single), the 2 remotes are very similar, all the basic buttons are the same. So whenever I turn on one the other is turned on as well. Is there a solution?

Thanks!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
No. You'll have to manually turn on the one you want to use. Either that or change out one of them for a different brand.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
I have a few ideas.

1) Always leave one of the DVD players on. If you do that, then whenver you hit the power button, one will turn off and the other will turn on. On problem with this would be if you have a model that turns on whenever you hit the play button, like my Toshiba does. My DVD player seems to think that Play = ON. While I'm sure most people find this useful, especially those that use universal remotes with macros, it would not be good in you situation. Another downside is that you will always have at least one of your DVD players on.

2) Cover the IR receiver on the DVD player you use the least with a piece of cardboard and some electrical tape. You can make it so that's it like a little "flap
" that you can move out of the way when you need to use it but then just close right back up when you don't. Personally I think this would not be that good a solution, but it could work.

3) Unless the signals that come out of your remote are super powerful, or you have a bunch of reflective surfaces behind you in the room, I'm sure you can find a few positions at which you can tilt the remote towards the ceiling and maybe even towards the back of the room at which the signal will reach one DVD player, but not the other. While it sounds kinda stupid, with enough practice you can get it right every time. It's not fool proof because any change in the room, even a glass of water on a table behind you, can throw it off. Once you find a position towards the ceiling that will turn on the upper DVD player, you can look for one towards the floor that turns on the other. Remember, this one may not work as some remotes send out a signal that's almost impossible to block, unless you're in another room or something.

Anyway, those are a few stupid ideas I came up with right away. One question though. Why do you even need 2 DVD players? Why not just sell the single disc one and use the cash for an upgrade to something else in your HT?

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks all for the suggestions.
Jason, I have 2 players bc I have all my movies in the changer (300+1), the single I bought for Christmas is for all my burned DVD movies. This player can play DVD+ and - R and RW. I actually have another player, a Samsung, to play all the JPEGs. Damn, why do I have 3?:D

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, makes sense to have them though. Well, try those ideas I stated before. I'll try to think of something better and I'll post it if I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks