Remote Controls " Pronto" help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MitchC, Aug 26, 2002.

1. MitchC

MitchC Auditioning

Feb 17, 2001
    I've got too many darn remotes. I've heard about the Phillips Pronto. Is this the best remote to get, LCD touch screen downloadable codes, etc etc, or does one need to be a rocket scientist to program it properly, and it is true that its hard to use because you always have to look at the screen instead of having a feel for buttons.
  2. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

Jul 11, 2002
    I found that between checking out .ccf files ( pronto configuration files) on the net and fooling around, I was able to put together a reasonable setup for my stereo/vcr/tv and dvd.

It seems overwhelming at first but if you have "standard" equipment there are defaults that will load a reasonable remote for your equipment. As you get skilled you can add things like volume adjustments and buttons like "turn everything off" which understands that when you are watching the dvd to power down the dvd, tv and stereo equipment as one button.

I also found that between here and you can get loads of help. I had a problem downloading to the pronto and found out with a 5 minute search that all I had to do was touch the screen to "wake up the pronto" before starting the download.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    I personally don't like touchscreen remotes. I need hard buttons that I can operate by feel. My remote (Marantz RC2000 MkII, maybe not the best, but it does the job for me) has a large LCD display, all the buttons are backlit, but I don't want to have to look at it each time I want to use a particular function. For DVD menus and other OSD functions, I find LCDs to lack some ease of use, because you have to look at the buttons to navigate.