Remote controllers!!??

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
Hello!!!

I am still putting together my setup for my living room...nothing TOO fancy but after everything is said and done i'll have remotes out the ying yang!! the DVD player, the receiver, the HD cable box, the TV!!

What is everyone doing for the remote control??? I have looked today at the Sony RMAX4000 which is around a hundred bux in some places which and attractive price that seems like it will get the job done!

but i saw also a Philips rc9800i which is a good looking unit! a little more money but i can deal with the extra remotes until i can save my pennies up...

anyone have any info on these units or any units recommended??? thanks!!

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
You should also look into the Harmony Remotes by Logitech before making a decision. You can find them online for better than retail price, and they are certainly more WAF friendly thatn most other universal remotes.

Ron Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron Z
I'm evaluating the RC9800i right now. It's not programmable, but can learn IR codes. As long as your happy with the screen layouts it should work fine for you. I picked mine up from Costco which has a very liberal return policy should I end up returning it. If I do, I'll next be looking at the upcoming Harmony 1000, but it may be a little out of your price range at $500 MRSP.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
With the Harmony remotes, most of the IR codes are available through the online configuration wizard database, thanks to contributions from other owners of the remotes. In configuring half a dozen home entertainment areas with them in the last 3 years, I have not yet had to learn a single IR command from the original remote. I use the low-end 659 which I have had for almost 4 years now. It can be found for $100 online. Some of the newer models have better button layouts and cost a little more and there are some more advanced models as well.

For a site that reviews various remotes, check out remotecentral.com. And for buying, surfremote.com offers good prices.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Corey: I was able to find a Harmony 628 remote on Amazon.com for about $40 a few months ago--a great sale!

I have been loving it...and so has the rest of my family. The programmed activities in which you push a button like "Watch a DVD" and it turns on the DVD player, the TV, and the Receiver...AND all set to the right input, etc. It's too easy!

Even the wife thinks its the greatest HT purchase I've ever made.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Exactly why I recommend it. My wife loves it. My parents love theirs. So do all the others I have set up for or who bought it on my recommendation.

The price point is good. The learning curve for setup is relatively low for what it does, and it's got that one-touch activity feature that would make any woman fall in love with you.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avaroy