Remote Controlled Light?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Tim Holyoke, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

I'm thinking about getting the MX-500 remote, and somebody mentioned something about controlling their lights with the remote. I don't really have much of a home theater, but would still like the option of turning off my light(s) with the remote. My TV and everything is in the living room, basically the central part of the house, it's where we watch TV, movies, read, first room we go to in the morning. We just have 3 lamps plugged into wall outlets in the room, and also have a ceiling fan. So what are my options for controlling at least 1 of the lights? Basically I just want to be able to turn a light on or off before or after a movie, or just when I go to bed or wake up in the morning. I really don't want to spend much. Is there some simple in-line thing I could get? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. RobbieP

RobbieP Agent

If you're electonically inclined you may be able to build a circuit yourself...I've seen some simple infrared remote circuits on some PC modding forums like bit-tech for example...most of them consist of remote on/off for a pc which MAY be able to be modified for a remote light switch. You could even possibly make it small enough to mod into an existing tv remote...my background is pc modding so thats the best advice I can give [​IMG]

3. RobbieP

RobbieP Agent

btw check the electronics forum at bit-tech .net (I can't post URL's yet, still too new)

4. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

5. RobbieP

RobbieP Agent

Chris. I can't get to that website from work for some reason...but I was wondering how much is what you just posted gonna cost?

6. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

Lamp Link are about $16.00 ea.
    The Kit is about $43.00
    the IR-X10 unit is about $22.00
    and the Motion Sensors are about $21.00 ea.

I perfer the Smarthome products over the X10 stuff. Its a little more expensive but much better quality. Plus once you buy something from X10 you get about 12 e-mails a day about the same special.

7. RobbieP

RobbieP Agent

ohhh...THAT x10...yeah...I'd probably stay away from the X10 stuff...I'm pretty interested in the whole smarthome concept though....I'm gonna wire up me houe with cat5 too so I can go WAY into home automation...hopefully.

thanx for the info.

8. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

I used a Lutron Infrared controlled dimmer for my lights. Available at Lowes or Home Depot. I use an MX-500 to control it as well.

Steve

9. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

yeah stay away from the x10 junk... if you want to diy, then go ahead and build your own relays with IR, but time is money, so i took the easy way out and get lutron spacers... four of them to control four relays of lights... and I use my denon Atkis remote (what a piece o poop remote) to control the switches as well... plus the lutron switches look really nice...

10. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

11. Jason Edgecombe

For the past 3 years I have used X10-based lamp modules from homeautomationnet-DOT-com with an IR543, controling it with my Pronto remote. I have never had any problems, and I recently upgraded to the X10-based Switchlinc wall switches to control overhead lights and am completely satisfied with this setup.

12. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I also use a Lutron remote control dimmer purchased at Lowes or Home Depot. I recall two different models that retail for about $30 & $50. The more expensive one had a few more bells & whistles. I have the HT Master MX 500 as well.

It was very easy to install. It simply takes the place of a traditional switch or dimmer.

13. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Thanks guys. Gary - does it actually replace the wall plate, or it plugs into the outlet? The MX-500 was easy to program for it? Thanks again.

14. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

Tim.
    It replaces the wall plate. I used the MX-500's learn function to program it from the remote that comes with the switch. No problem. Works perfectly.

Steve

15. Gary Mui

Gary Mui Agent

I was just looking at the Lutron IR dimmers at home depot yesterday. If I get 2 of them, do they use the same frequency? I would like to program them into my MX-700 remote, so that I can control them simultaneously. TIA!

16. JohnnyN

Gary, they will both respond to the same IR signal... so even though each spacer switch comes with it's own remote, you will only use one, or in your case neither with the mx700... so obviously, the x10 has the advantage in terms of control and flexibility.

17. RonnieT

RonnieT Stunt Coordinator

I also use a remote controlled dimmer but its not Lutron nor x10. You can see what i bought here . I am very happy with these. I have 3 scenes so I bought 3 of them but you can have up to 4. there are little switches on the back of the dimmer to select which lights to control with each number on the remote. A remote comes with each switch but one is all that is needed and are easily programmable into my pronto. If more than 4 scenes are needed, a different route is the way to go.
    BTW, I bought these on ebay from dbassler. just do a search for the user id and you'll see these dimmer switches.

18. JohnnyN

RonnieT, based on the flash demonstration, you don't really have preset scenes per say, you have to manually create them by dimming or brightening each relay in series. This is a welcome alternative though, choice is good.

19. MikeTC

MikeTC Stunt Coordinator

1 table lamp on/off, the clapper.

20. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

You can get them from Davidsteele.com for about $36 including shipping. Plus you can buy as many as you want, no additional shipping after the 1st.