Remote-controlled blinds?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by MarcusDiddle, Feb 6, 2006.

1. MarcusDiddle

MarcusDiddle Stunt Coordinator

I hope someone can help me out and educate me on my options as far as remote-controlled/motorized window blinds.

Now, it's my understanding that I can purchase the motor/control unit completely seperate from the blinds themselves, and that the unit will work with most makes/styles of blinds. Is this correct? Or do I have to purchase a complete custom setup, blinds/motor and all?

I'd like to add the blinds soon, with the intention of adding the control unit later. I'm planning on using 2" faux wood blinds (Levolor blinds from Lowes/Home Depot). I'd like the blinds to operate via IR, so I can use my Sony AV3000 remote with them. I already have my lights and everything else programmed into it, so I'd like the blinds to work with it as well.

If anyone can help me out, maybe throw up some links to products, that'd be great!

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I believe you have both options: all-in-one and stand-alone motors. Here's an X10 product from Smarthome that will do what you're asking. X10 is great (works though your electrical system) but it's also finicky - any noise in the line from appliances or such affects reliability.