Remote controlled black out shades?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by John Matt, Jan 11, 2006.

1. John Matt

John Matt Auditioning

Dec 28, 2005
    Anyone have any suggestions for remote controlling black out shades for the home theater I'm putting in my great room? The windows are way up high and I need an affordable way to raise and lower some kind of shade or blind.

I researched this awhile ago and came across an X10-type gadget that allowed you to loop the raising cord through a battery operated wheel (all within a plastic housing) but I kind seem to find a link for it anywhere.

I'm on a budget, so I can't afford the Somfy brand, which seems overkill to me anyway.

Any suggestions?

2. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

Sep 2, 2005
    and I was able to get black out drapes from WalMart for a few bucks. I plan on using the black out shades as a liner and have more attractive curtain showing in the theater.
    I don't know that I'd trust just adding and mounting a motor to existing curtain rod.
    I'm looking at the above link because I need IR control. There are others out there if you just want RF, check out ebay, or do a google search for (Remote Curtain). Lots of results.