1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

remote control use through walls

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by MarcCh, Dec 26, 2005.

1. MarcCh

MarcCh Agent

I did not know where to post this message. If not here, please feel free to move. I have just completed my home theater. I have a false wall with access through a door. I was planning on keeping all of my components behind the wall and hanging my plasma television on the wall with a hole through the wall to the back. My concern is how can I access the device using the remote, is it possible? Is there something I need to mount on the wall to receive the remote signals? Any help is appreciated.

Marc

2. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

3. MarcCh

MarcCh Agent

Is there any way to control multiple sources. Mainly the receiver and satellite receiver?

Marc

4. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I believe the device he linked to just converts IR to RF and back again, so it should control anything.

5. MarcCh

MarcCh Agent

So I essentially need to purchase one for each device I want to control?? That could be 5 or 6.

6. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

All of my components are kept in a closed cabinet and controlled with a Hotlink Pro . It will control up to 8 devices with IR emitters attached directly to each component. The receiver cable is very small. I have mine velcro'd bottom center on the frame of the plasma itself. You have to really be looking to see it. They offer extender cables for the receiver if necessary. There is also a green "talk back" led you can expose to the main room which flashes and verifies that IR codes are being received.

The Terk unit Reginald uses is less expensive and a little easier to set up. With this one, the receiver unit has to be sitting in the room somewhere and both it and the transmitter need access to A/C power. The only thing you need to be aware of with that one is that you have to be able to place it in proximity to the components so it has line of sight to the IR receiver on all components. The emitters for the Hotlink Pro, as I said, adhere directly to the IR receiver on each component so line of sight isn't a concern.

No...the remote unit "blasts" out everything it receives to anything in proximity.

Hope this helps.

7. Reginald Trent

MarcCH,

One unit controls all of your components or I should say any component that is controlled by IR. An IR cable/emitter also comes with the unit, it plugs into the TERK and attachs to the front of any unit that the IR eye on the TERK cannot hit.

8. MarcCh

MarcCh Agent

Can a universal remote control all devices on the Hotlink pro??

9. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Any IR signal that gets sent to the receiving device will get passed to the sending device. All it is is a repeater/extender for IR signals. It is not device or remote specific.

10. Reginald Trent

Joe is correct, it makes no difference which remote sends the signal to the extender/emitter, all it does is relay the signal to the component.

11. joseph westcott

joseph westcott Second Unit

There are several devices on the market that can convert your IR signals to RF and back again.

I use the Next Generation RF system in combination with the Logitech Harmony 688.

My AV credenza is behind the couch. I needed a non line of sight solution with activity programming.

Happy Holidays!