What's new

remote control URC 980 (1 Viewer)

bigfish1

Auditioning
Real Name
paul salmon
Hi everyone,

i am building a theatre room and are thinking of using the urc 980 remote control. I was wondering if anyone has experience

with this unit. It will be controling 4 zone lighting and the dvd ect,.....

thanks for your time

paul.

keithVANhorn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Steinmetz
The MX-980 is our goto remote for theaters.... it is pricey though and if you don't want to pay someone to program it for you (it is a custom remote for custom installers) you must find a dealer that will share the programming software with you. It is they're call to share it or not because they will now have to take care of tech support if needed.

If you are looking at the MX-980 you should also consider the MRF-350 for MRF-260 for RF control of your equipment.

I won't comment on Harmony's but I would say they're ok and would work, but can't hold a candle to the mx-980. mho

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Pricey and you can't program them yourself. Makes me want to throw all my Harmony remotes in the trash right now.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Personally I use and prefer the MX980. There are some pitfalls (need to get the SW), but I really like it. Its very customizable and you can do a ton with some of the add-ons. I prefer it because I have big hands fingers and its easy to always hit the button I'm looking for and not hit the others . Harmony can be a fine solution too, but I think the MX980 will interface better with the lights if you use their stitches.

keithVANhorn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Steinmetz
You can program them yourself.... I never said you couldn't. There's an extra step involved, but it can be done.

If I had Harmony remotes at home I would throw them away as well. They are for the DIY'er who doesn't want/need/afford/justify an expensive universal controller. The MX-980 is a very good remote that is fully customizable. If you don't need that, then step down the MX-880 or 900 or 850. If none of those fit what you want (features or price) them by all means go with a Harmony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks