What's new

Remote control to power amps? (1 Viewer)

BrianKR

Second Unit
What and where can I purchase a relay that I can plug my amps into and turn them on with a remote?

If your pre/pro or receiver has a 12vdc output, both Niles and Xantech make switched ac outlets controlled by a 12vdc input. Simply plug your amps into the switched outlets and connect the 12vdc and your pre/pro remote will also activate your amps.

Joseph Sabato

Stunt Coordinator
As an alternative, as long as your preamp/receiver has a switched outlet, you can run this to the coil of a 115V relay and have the relay wired to an outlet box ( stand alone) to plug the amps in to.

I have used this setup with a enclosed relay from Radio Shack for years and it works great. Just make sure the relay contacts are rated high enough to handle your amps load ( or use 2 in parallel, 1 for each amp) Good Luck.

BrianKR

Second Unit
What alternatives are available (if any) if your receiver/processor doesn't have a 12vdc out?

I need a relay to turn on a Sherbourn 5210 and a crown k2

Joseph Sabato

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

See my response above, as long as you have a switched outlet (115v, and most recievers and preamps do), it will work.

You can take an extension cord and cut off the outlet end and connect those wires to the coil of a 115V relay, plug the plug end in to your switched outlet. That will close the contacts of the relay any time the reciever or Preamp is on.

For the contacts part of the relay, you run a cord from the wall outlet to one side of the contacts, and wire a receptacle box to the other; my relay was small enough to fit in the box so I did not have to construct anything to hold it. Then plug your power amps in to the outlet box. Hope this description helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks