Remote control through a cabinet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marshall Sander, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Marshall Sander

Marshall Sander Stunt Coordinator

My entertainment center is constructed so that the television sits on a shelf above all of the components. There is a separate door for the television and for the components. The doors are hard wood.

For aesthetic reasons, I would like to keep the doors to the components closed while watching movies or television.

Is there any type of device I can use to allow my universal remote to operate the components while the door is shut?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Some receivers offer the ability to attach an IR repeater, which would allow you to do exactly what you are asking. You would have a small receiver that is visible to the remote, and the repeater would relay the IR signals to the hidden gear. I have owned both Sony and Marantz receivers, and I believe some of their models have this capability.

Sorry, I don't have specific info on exact receivers with this ability or IR repeaters themselves, but it's a start.

3. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

You don't even need a receiver that has internal capability. There are external IR repeater systems available for very cheap prices that hook up easily. Just put emitters on the desired equipment, attach it to a connecting block, then mountan infrared receiver outside the cabinet.

4. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

This is what I use. It doesn't get any easier. IR transmitter sits on top of the TV and converts IR to RF, and the RF receiver behind the cabinet door converts RF back to IR. I plugged a double IR repeater that came with my Mitsubishi TV into the back of the RF receiver and fastened them with double sided tape to the inside of the cabinet door. It allows me to control five devices behind the cabinet door. The repeaters can be purchased at Radio Shack as well.
    Check out Niles as well. They have higher end IR stuff. Much more pleasing to the eye and more expensive too.
    Ralph

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I wasn't suggesting that one would have to buy a new receiver to have this capability, just that some already have it. I could order a Sony repeater for my old receiver relatively inexpensively.

My only issue for gear in an enclosed space is heat. The larger the amp and the larger the speakers, the more heat is generated, and enclosing it just makes it worse. I have always had my gear in open racks for this purpose. I like to look at the gear too, just dim those displays.

6. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

Marshall,
    I too use the "Pyramids" with mostly good results...
    Ralph...I have developed a problem of lately, I have a central rack of gear, one room (den) has a receiver and the other room (Theater) has a receiver. The problem is that the unit in the den constantly shows that it is receiving a signal from somewhere ( the confirmation LED is always lit) thus making it impossible to actually receive any commands. I've unplugged and replugged the unit back in to no avail. It seems that some type of intereference is causing this thing to freak out...the one in the theater works fine. Any suggestions????
    Thanks
    Tim K.[​IMG]

7. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

Tim,

Did you switch the placement of the two receivers? It could tell you if there is something in the den causing the problem. If that den receiver doesn't work in the theater, the unit is probably be defective.

Are you using any remotes that have RF capability? The only problem I have experienced with the pyramids is with the RF/IR combination remote I have for my Hughes High Def receiver. This remote would not control the receiver through the pyramid extenders. It would control the other devices programmed into it though. Strange.... So, I plugged in the Hughes supplied RF antenna into the back of the HD receiver, and it screwed up ALL the IR commands for ALL devices going to the pyramids from every remote I tried. Now I just use a universal IR remote and I put the Hughes RF antenna away. Everything works fine.

Let me know if switching them works.

Ralph

8. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

Ralph,

Thanks...I will give it a try...

TK

9. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Stunt Coordinator

At first I was going to go the route of using a hardwire IR system to repeat. It turned out to be a PITA.

Now, I use the Radio Shack repeater with great results. I just set the pyramid on top of my RPTV next to the center channel, and the other one in the guest room where my components are, on top of a bookshelf on the other side of the room. Bam, it works like a charm. The only price you pay is a small pyramid on top of the set. Small price to pay for me.

10. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Tim:
    Fluorescent lights and other equipment can emit infrared that interferes with a remote control system. If you covered the IR repeater/receiver with a box or your hand, does the interference go away?
    Or if the remote system uses RF, there are lots of possible sources of interference including nearby DVD players, VCR's, etc. You may have to reposition the remote system components. Usually remote control repeaters are placed on on a shelf perhaps ten feet away from the equipment they are controlling.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm