Remote control suggestions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RyanCR, May 5, 2003.

1. RyanCR

RyanCR Auditioning

I am sure other people are in the same situation as I am... The receiver has a remote, the tv, the dvd, the satellite, the cdplayer, ect... Not only is my coffe table filling up with remotes but its annoying to have to use three different remotes just to get everything setup to watch a dvd.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good universal remote? Pronto? PDA? ? Lets say around $200-300 (USD) (I would be willing to go over that if its something that is really useful, otherwise no).

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I paid $25 for my All For One 8l and it replaced individual remotes for my two receivers, TV, DVD and CD.

3. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

Prontos are great, as long as you can program it and you like touchscreens. People often complain that they have to look at it to operate a device. After a month I am able to FF, Rewind, etc without looking.

4. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

In general, remotes come down to 2 kinds, button-based and touchscreen. Most of us prefer one or the other. The problem is knowing which...

Paul mentions a wonderful web resource, remotecentral.com Make a visit over there and begin your serch with the "Clicker Picker" link. It will help you to decide what features are more important to you and will lead you to some good candidates.

(I'm a button remote lover. My current favorites are the Home Theater Master MX-500 and MX-700 models.)

6. Randy Brist

Randy Brist Agent

I tried using a Pronto for about 3 months...and then came to the realization I was a "button" guy. I bought a Home Theater MX-500 and love it. I use it all the time now. As others have said, it is a highly personal decision. The Pronto was pretty cool, and I liked the customization, but in the end I just didn't use it.

RandyB

7. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

As others have said, the first big decision here (since your budget has room for most choices) is whether you like buttons or touch screens. If you and others using your setup like buttons, the choice is simple: MX-500. There's nothing even close, IMO, unless your budget is much lower. For touch screens there are many more choices, and Remote Central is an excellent resource that should be used.

8. RonnieT

RonnieT Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the same boat as Ryan here but don't know if I'm a button guy or not. Does anyone know what retail stores carry the pronto or Home Theater Master MX-500? I think I'll need a hands on experience to decide.

9. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I just picked up the MX-500, mostly so my wife can operate the HT. I love it, great remote. There is a lot to be said by having a remote with actual buttons, you just dont get that kind og feedback with a touch screen. It takes a boit to set up but it can do just about anything you need it to, except put the DVD in the player.

10. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

One more thing, it didnt hurt that I work across the hall from thier corporate HQ and got it for next to nothing. Otherwise I probably would have stuck with the remote from my Denon AVR-3803 (a lot of people dont like it but I do).

11. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

The problem with Button remotes is that you can't label
    a hard button. Never will be able to unless they design
    a remote with a mini LCD under each button.

Sure you have to look at a touch screen to do certain things
    but on the other hand with a Pronto you can completely make
    up your own GUI that contains every single button on your
    original remotes, labeled exactly the same.

For some of us that is the most important thing.

12. PaulHeroy

13. Ray Kerr

Ray Kerr Extra

That's good to hear Randy... I just ordered a MX-500. I've had a Pronto 2000/01 and have had little sucess in getting my daughter to use it... I have decided that I am a "button guy" too... Now all i have to do is try and sell the Pronto!

14. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Paul,

Yeah but I mean label ALL the buttons... No can do..

And with DVD Changers and the likes, you will quickly use
    up those 5 labelable spaces on the MX-500 [​IMG]

I think the Kameleon is a step in the right direction..
    Active EL displays with tactile feedback are a great idea!
    I would like to see it further developed with maybe an LCD
    Underlay that truly would allow for custom drawn icons.

15. PaulHeroy

Brett, I can definitely see where the GUI touchscreens have some advantages... to each his own. [​IMG] I'm really curious now about the Kameleon; I briefly looked at the review on Remote Central but couldn't really tell how different it is from a traditional LCD touchscreen. Does the "tactile feedback" and flexible surface allow you to actually feel the active buttons without looking? If so that's a great innovation. This might be something that has to be seen in person to really grok it.

16. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

17. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

I own the kameleon remote and love it.Its like an lcd screen(but much brighter),easy to read in the dark with a tactile feel to it so you know your pressing a button.Its operating my tosh rptv,yami receiver,tosh dvd player,E86 sat box and my sony amp.
    As an added bonus,its even easy for the wife to operate.Life is good(for $60).

Good luck and happy shopping.

18. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

I loved my pronto until I received an AVR507 from B&K which came with an MX700 (newer version of the mx500)...now the 700 gets all the play!
    Someone gave me a great deal on the "sidekick" mini-remote that is ussually with the MX700's and has proven to be just the thing for the kids!
    I am still glad I have the pronto though, it is friendlier to guests, relatives, and babysitters......you can make a pronto soooooooo easy that ANYONE can work your system, but if you like to play with the equipment without taking your eyes off the screen, the 700 might be better..........

19. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

What do you guys think about the Home Theater Master MX-1000 remote? It seems to blend the touch screen with the hard buttons.