remote control repeater?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rodney wiley, Jan 8, 2002.

1. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

Guys I have a question. I want to position my component rack behind me but be able to aim remote foward to control the components. How can I do this cheaply? I have a Sony av-2000

2. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I have the same setup in my theater "see my site" and I just installed a Radio Shack "IR to RF back to IR" repeater. It does work although I am not happy with the pinpoint accuracy that you have to aim your remote at the pyramid shaped receiver. It costs $50. and are fairly small, I mounted my front one up on the ceiling to the right above the screen. The back pyramid is up in my light valance across the room from the equipment so it is completely out of sight except to the equipment.

Wes

3. Chuck_C

Chuck_C Stunt Coordinator

Go to e-bay and do a search on RECOTON. They have a bunch of IR Repeaters for sale there. I see them in various stereo shops for about $55. I bought a RECOTON INFRARED REMOTE CONTROL EXTENDER from a Blockbusters' bargain bin for $19 and it works great. I have the transmitter upstairs in the bedroom and the receiver at the satellite receiver which is downstairs. The receiver repeats the IR signal to whatever is sits in front of.

4. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

Thanks alot for the replies. The only problem I have is I really dont have any place to sit the unit that actually sends the signal to the units. Could I possibly sit both units on the same plane? Meaning side by side and let the sending unit repeat to the rear of the room.

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I don't see why that wouldn't work. As long as it has a clear shot.
    Or you could save a few bucks and just put a mirror up there. [​IMG] Or do the "over-the-shoulder" remote shot... but then you are just asking for some sort of repetitive stress disorder in your shoulder.

6. Chuck_C

Chuck_C Stunt Coordinator

-------------------------------------------

Could I possibly sit both units on the same plane? Meaning side by side and let the sending unit repeat to the rear of the room.

-------------------------------------------

I wonder if that would put it in some kind of a loop. Like a ground loop - this might turn out to be a IR Loop. You would be signaling the transmitter who then radios a signal to the receiver who sends a signal to the transmitter who........etc.

7. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

I have the Radio Shack repeater transmitting for zone two control from upstairs to the system in the basement. I have the pyramid on the AV rack pointing out towards the seating area, and it works just fine. It's powerful enough to bounce the signal off of whatever it sees back to the components.