Remote Control Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Perry P, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Perry P

Perry P Auditioning

I was looking for a good universal remote control with "read back" features. The way my system is set-up,it gets very difficult to see the settings on my reciever.
    Ease of use/Ease of set-up/Practicality more important than price.
    Thanks in advance
    Perry.

2. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

"Read back"??? You mean display on the remote what is being displayed on the receiver? The only way you're going to get this feature is if your OEM remote has it. What I think you're talking about is 2-way communication. The receiver would have to transmit to the remote. Some receivers have this (Sony for example). If this capability is built into your receiver - you'd already have it on the original remote.

Jim L

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

As Jim notes, if your setup does not support 2-way communcation, and price is no object, then I believe remote brands such as Crestron or AMX can support 2-way communication. But you are talking thousands of dollars. And the only way to buy and have it setup is to go thru a custom install-type dealer.

If seeing your setup is a problem and the custom solution is too expensive, it would probably be cheaper to upgrade your receiver to one that has on-screen diplay. (One example would be the Denon 3803 receiver which sells for around + or - $1000. A Crestron or AMX solution would be over $2000 and could go much higher...)

4. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Harmony remotes are awsome. just plug it into your usb slots and download all programs into it!

5. JackIR

JackIR Stunt Coordinator

Pronto Pro is one of the best,most flexible remote control.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Perry. Welcome to HTF!
    Very few remote controls do 2 way communication, or even keep track of what devices are turned on/off.
    May I ask why you need to see the receiver display? I have to say that for my system I only need to select the device (DVD/VCR/DSS) and adjust the volume. What are you doing that I'm not?
    Many receivers offer On-Screen Display for doing setup/test tones. But this often only comes out one type of monitor output like the SVideo port. Would hooking this up be of any use to you?
    There is a good site dedicated to low->high end remotes: www.remotecentral.com . It might give you some more directions to go.