What's new

Remote Control Light Switches (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We're going to replace a light fixture and while we're at it, I thought putting a remote control light switch would be handy. There a bunch out there. Which brand/model would give me the best chance for expansion of use on other devices, for future planning. Be nice if the switch could be a dimmer.

We have this Trane thermostat that uses Nexia and I can control with my iPhone but I don't see mention of Nexia elsewhere.

Thoughts anyone?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Wow, those iDevices are very pricey. $100 for a wall switch and it's not a dimmer. Maybe I don't have to have a dimmer. The Wemo isn't compatible with Apple HomeKit. Not sure how important that is. I guess if went with HomeKit compatible, different manufacturers could all be controlled by the same app?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The Lutron requires a hub that is connected via cable to your router, so that's a bit of a disadvantage. However, it requires no neutral wire and I'm not sure if our home has them, and it controls up to 50 devices. That link above shows a kit which includes a wall dimmer, remote, and hub.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Wemo isn't compatible with Apple HomeKit. Not sure how important that is.
If you use Android devices to control your home, HomeKit is worthless. if you want to use Apple devices to control your home, HomeKit is very handy.

Practically: you're going to be an early adopter. This home automation stuff isn't sorted. It's not unified. It's not consistent. Be ready for it to all change in a couple years after you've bought in :)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If you use Android devices to control your home, HomeKit is worthless. if you want to use Apple devices to control your home, HomeKit is very handy.

Practically: you're going to be an early adopter. This home automation stuff isn't sorted. It's not unified. It's not consistent. Be ready for it to all change in a couple years after you've bought in :)
Right now I'm looking at buying just one switch to control one set of lights. If I go with the Lutron above, it'll cost me $100. The only no Apple device I have is an Amazon Fire. I have an iMac, 2 iPhones, an iPad, and I'm probably forgetting something. I have no plans to drift away from Apple devices.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The Lutron requires a hub that is connected via cable to your router, so that's a bit of a disadvantage. However, it requires no neutral wire and I'm not sure if our home has them, and it controls up to 50 devices. That link above shows a kit which includes a wall dimmer, remote, and hub.

Not the set I use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U8Y9QA
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WGU2MU
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006V5PXK/

Super easy even with a 3 way light switch setup.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What I meant to ask is there remote control via a mobile device like an iPhone on what you linked too. For $82 you can get the one with a hub and remote.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Lutron and done. Highly highly recommended. Even a klutz like me can install them.
I installed my Casetta Lutron with hub and remote today. A fairly simple install both hardware and software. It is working like a charm.

It's the first dimmer I've had, ever, I think. So I was a little surprised when I turned the lights off, they didn't snap off but dimmed off.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You have taken your first steps into a brave new world =)
We took a few more steps this past week. For some years now, I've wanted to replace some ceiling fans because 1) the living room fan made a light but irritating noise and provided poor light; 2) ditto for bedroom fan but because I'm trying to sleep the noise is a bigger issue.

We bought 3 (replaced the one in the kitchen too, to match the others per the wife) Hunter funs, wifi enabled and HomeKit compatible. I had a handyman install them and it went like a charm. Got them wired correctly the first time and they worked with the remote right away.

Because they are HomeKit compatible, Hunter had an app. Got the fans installed, though it was not as intuitive as it should be and a bit slow. I noticed the app didn't need a password to join my secure network and figured that was because of the HomeKit Lutron switch I had already installed.

So after the fans are working, I check the Lutron app and the fans are already there and can be controlled in the app.

What I like about these fans 1) They reek of quality; 2) Quiet; 3) They can be reversed for winter mode via the remote or app; 4) They are gorgeous. What I don't like is the color temp of the light which is 2700 and quite warm. We prefer a cooler white which is 5000. To make it worse, I've discovered the light is made only for Hunter and 3000 version is available but that's way to warm.

Had an adventure getting the fans delivered. Got an email from Fedex saying they were delivered at 9:30am and signed for. The email was generated at 5pm. I look out the front door, no fans. Call Fedex that night, but it's the next day when I get someone who cares. Fans had been delivered to a wall-mart but retrieved and sent to us the next day.

I had commented to Locks and Lights, the Amazon seller about this, and they said if I didn't have the fans by Monday, they would ship replacements. Most sellers would say we have to wait a week or more to see what happens. I was impressed by Locks and Lights being willing to do that. Fortunately that wasn't necessary.

I also told them about the color temp and they said they would research it and see if they could find a light that would work. I doubt they will but I appreciate the effort.

Kudos to Locks and Lights on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks