What's new

Remote Control Help Please. (1 Viewer)

Jon*W

Auditioning
Hello All,

My theater construction has begun...Yippeee. I have a quick question on controling lights and components from 1 remote. The main obstacle I have is the components will be directly behind me at the back of the room and the dimmer switches will not have line of sight for IR.

Can someone give me some suggestions on products that will allow me to control components and lights with little or no line of sight.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
I have Lutron lighting dimmers installed and I use an iPronto TSi6400 wireless remote to control everything in my theater. No need to point it at equipment.

David

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Depending on which remote you use you may find its powerful enough not to need a repeater...though in my experience most do. There's a whole host of options from the very simple IR Repeaters that you can buy at Radio Shack to more elaborate hardwired systems. The hard wired systems are more reliable but are obviously more work to install...and more expensive.

Jon*W

Auditioning
Thanks for the responses.

David,

Is your equipment and Lutron Dimmers in line of sight or around a corner etc?? Just trying to get an idea of how powerful the Remote you suggested is.

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
Jon,

I can take my remote anywhere in the house and it will work my equipment and dimmers. Behind my equipment there is a network extender that receives the signal from the remote, it then sends that signal to the equipment via a wire with a IR sensor that is stuck to the face of the equipment, near the equipment's built-in IR sensor.

David

Patrick.C

Second Unit
You could go with an IR/RF capable remote like the Home Theater Master MX-600. Its emits both IR and RF and comes with an RF base station that you put in your equipment cabinet. The base station receives the RF signal and has IR repeaters that you mount in front of your equipment.

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Just grab a Xantec 291-10 KIT and run some cat-5 to the dimmer and splice the emitter on the end... off the top of my head thats what I would do...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks