What's new

Remington Steele on DVD (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
MadmanTV said:
With the recent discussion about Stephanie Zimbalist MIA from the Season 1 U.S. cover, thought I'd share the artwork for the forthcoming September Australian releases of the series. Ms. Zimbalist has been happily reinstated!

By chance, would any of these versions be region free, or include region 1 ?

The disc count suggests they're single-sided discs. (In contrast, the american versions were all annoying double-sided flipper discs).

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The artwork is lovely! Did the music clearances go any differently from the American releases?

MadmanTV

Grip
Real Name
Grant
Region 4 for these as that's the contractual requirement.

We did try to look at additional music clearance possibilities, but in addition to high costs vs sales forecast, there were issues in obtaining the undoctored masters.

Our greatest hopes were to clear the Tony Bennett tracks, but again the costs were just unvaible against likely sales for the smaller Aust/NZ market, plus fix up that error in Springtime for Steele on the opening song, but again access to masters made it not possible.

The original releases were great in terms of extras so there wasn't much we could add, but have included a short audio introduction on Hounded Steele by Guest Star Tom Baker, Textless end titles for seasons 1, 3 and 4, the original Season 1 opening titles without Laura's narration (taken from the M&E track) and a gallery for each season.

Plus reinstating the lovely Ms. Zimbalist to Season 1.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
Has there ever been talk of a Blu-ray release? I’ve seen wonders done with shows like Rockford and Miami Vice. I’d love to see an upgrade on this series.

I didn’t see season 1 until it was in syndication around 1989 I believe. There’s one episode that has the overlapping dialogue and I remember thinking how much the series reminded me of Moonlighting. The subsequent seasons had a different feel but at least in season 1, the two series had a similar feel at least.

I hadn’t watched the show in awhile but have been watching a lot lately. Every time I finish an episode, I think “that’s a completely different era”. I’m not saying it superior to anything today but there’s definitely an elegance that is tough to find today. I mean you have two characters in their 20’s who both come off as so much older & more “sophisticated “ than someone that age. The fashion and styles of Remington Steele seem absolutely alien now. I was a teen watching this show in the 80’s and I absolutely hoped adulthood would resemble elements of this show. Not quite...

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Has there ever been talk of a Blu-ray release? I’ve seen wonders done with shows like Rockford and Miami Vice. I’d love to see an upgrade on this series.

I didn’t see season 1 until it was in syndication around 1989 I believe. There’s one episode that has the overlapping dialogue and I remember thinking how much the series reminded me of Moonlighting. The subsequent seasons had a different feel but at least in season 1, the two series had a similar feel at least.
Steele supervising producer Glenn Gordon Caron jumped ship to become executive producer on Moonlighting, so it's not surprising that there are similarities between the two shows.

The series was largely shot and edited on film - everything except for the last season and the handful of episodes that were produced after its initial cancellation - so it would be relatively cheap and easy to create HD masters.

Last edited:

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
As an aside, I’d love a soundtrack release for this show. I know it’s unlikely but I really enjoy the music. Very classy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks