Reminder: The Patriot on HD-HBO tonight

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PerryD, May 12, 2001.

1. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

Mel Gibson's Patriot is on tonight at 9pm E/8pm C. Earlier, Sandra Bullock's 28 Days is on at 5pm E/4pm C.
    Showtime has Ninth Gate at 8pm E/7pm C, and Sleepy Hollow at 10:15pm E/9:15 C.

2. Frank

Frank Stunt Coordinator

I am somewhat interested to see what kind of job HBO does with 'The Patriot'. I expect the aspect ratio to be wrong and I also expect a soft image with edge enhancement just like the DVD. I hope I am wrong.
    I am watching the PBS demo loop at the moment and I have never seen anything on HBO that comes close to this kind of image quality. I sometimes wonder if HBO is screwing up the transfers to please the MPAA.
    Frank

3. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Well, the movie was chopped of course. Oh well - did not expect anything else. The transfer appeared a bit soft to me, but looked great nonetheless.
    Did anyone else get the increase in volume and video stutter mid opening credits?
    C. Ryan

4. Michael St. Clair

Pan and scan is not acceptable.

5. Frank

Frank Stunt Coordinator

6. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

I did not notice any panning and scanning. I assumed all they did was blow up the picture and let the sides fall where they may.
    C. Ryan

7. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

Semantics -
    AFAIK, Blowing up and cropping _is_ pan and scan (they don't actually have to pan anything).
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Paul Warren
    Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.