What's new

Reminder: keep signal cable away from power cable (1 Viewer)

Sure this must be obvious for most people here, but I have learn the hard way that it is very important. My new TV (Samsung 32" HDTV) showed 2 symetrical, vertical lighter bar, about 2inch tick. Those bars weren't obvious all the time. I first thought it was source bound. Last weekend, I rent The Score on dvd, and I saw those bars about half the movie time. It was driving me crazy. I was ready to return the set, even if I had to cary it on my back :).
Then I calm down. I though it might come from the receiver. I then plugeed the tv s-video cable directly in the dvd player. No more bar, yeah!! It points out to the receiver :frowning:. But when I plugged the cable back in the receiver, the bars were still gone.
During the whole process, I cleared the cable mess back there and run the svideo away from power line. So, I think it was some interference, induction or something like that.
Does anybody had similar problem? I found very strange that interferances show up on the screen as symetrical bars. Could it be something else?

Brian R

Stunt Coordinator
Francois

I do have a similar problem with my 32" Samsung HDTV. On the left side of the screen I have 2 vertical lighter colored bars. It is visible on all sources, my DVD is hooked up with component video cables, my cable box with s-video and the lines are also visible with the internal tuner. It most noticable on dark scenes, but if I look closely I can see it at all times. I have been intending to get it checked out, but have not had the time. I am going to try organizing all my cables and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I will get it serviced.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I'm glad you brought this up. Often, over in the Hardware Forum, there are debates about interconnects and speaker wire.

A situation like yours is a perfect example of why not all cables are created equal. Shielding can be very important in rejecting interference in some installations.

Of course, that doesn't mean you have to spend a fortune on cables, but ones that have good shielding are going to be more expensive than the freebies in the box or the cheap ones you often find at Mass Merchants.

DJ

David,

The thing is that my s-video cable is not the hair thin kind of cable given away by manufacturer; it is a MonsterCable (I know, it is far from being top of the line).

Do you think s-video cable is more sensible to interference or induction than component cable?

David Judah

Screenwriter
Francois,

Monster has many different levels of cable, and the degree of shielding goes up as you move up their lines. I think any type of analog cable is susceptible to interference.

Now, it's hard to say if one particular installation is going to have a problem, but I recommend having all the bases covered to set yourself up for the best possible performance just in case--same way with line conditioners.

Get the best you can afford.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks