Remember when CDs had "indexing"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry Gale, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

I just came across the owners's manual for my first CD player, B&O's Beogram CD50. They were available in '85 and '86. List was 2999.00

Back in the early days of CD a few discs (usually classical) had not just cuts but also index marks. The only thing in my collection that still has one is Firesign Theater's Nick Danger routine on Mobile Fidelity. The "Loofners" song is indexed.

I haven't seen my Firesign Theater Big Book of Plays in years or I would have spelled Loofners correctly. :b

Jim

Is there a door prize for 2222 posts during 2-2002?

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Part of my point being that early players could access this function.

I think the feature has become obsolete.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jim, there may be some high-end CD players out there that offer indexing, but it is uncommon. My Pioneer Elite PD-65 has the indexing function. I agree that indexing is most offered observed on classical CDs, but it could be that other CDs offer it and that we don't know it because most players don't offer the feature. I wonder if Rush "2112" or Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" have index marks. Emerson, Lake & Palmer's "Tarkus" has index marks. I observed this on my PD-65. Tarkus is the only CD I own that I know has index marks.

4. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

I was just thinking about this the other day. My recording of Enigma Variations has all the movements indexed. I have a few other cd's with it. It pisses me off - especially because I like to hear certain sections. I have never even owned any player with that function.

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yes, my Rush's 2112 has index marks, both the standard Mercury one and the MFSL one. However, I can't access them from my Meridian 506.20 without the Meridian System Remote (or one of those PDA remote things that alot of HTFs have). However, the 506 does display them on the screen. My previous CD player, a Denon DCD2560 had the option to go up and down by index and stuff though.

Jay

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The DCC Paul McCartney & Wings "Red Rose Speedway" has indexes on the medleys. I can do indexing with the software I use to burn CDs of my vinyl (Sonic Foundry CD Architect), but I never have done it.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jay, thanks for the info. 2112 is one CD that it would make sense to include index marks on.

8. Martin G

Martin G Second Unit

I have an old CD of Peter and the Wolf that has uses indexes. I haven't been able to ever access them though.

9. Duncan Barth

Duncan Barth Stunt Coordinator

Hmm. I didn't know that CDs even had indicies (I guess that means I'm really young or something [​IMG] ).
    This piece of information drove me to to an internet search to see what else there was to CDs that I didn't know about [​IMG]
    The most interesting thing I learned is that there is apparently a specification for 4 channel audio on CDs. What I want to know, was this ever used?
    And even if it wasn't I'd be interested in how it would work. I'm assuming it would just mean the frequency of each channel would be cut to 22Khz, but that would break other bits of the standard. So would speading up the read rate and cutting the runtime of a disc in half. I can find references to the fact that quad audio was an option, but not any implementation details.

10. Tony G

Tony G Stunt Coordinator

I pulled an old CD deck out of the closet a couple of weeks ago. I had stored it there when I got changers. I got it out when I got one of the Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 table radios for my office. I hooked the old deck up to the Aux input on the radio.

Anyway, it has the index function. I've never even checked it out, but most of my stuff is classic rock, anyway. Otherwise, being a very early model, it is very no-frills, so I wonder if this feature was widespread on the first units.

Tony

11. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

WinOnCd, probably the best burning program ever for audio CDs, allowed you to drop both track marks and index marks in any piece of audio through its .wav editor. It was nice to be able to take a 20 minute piece of audio and separate it out into mutiple tracks without having to chop up the .wav or deal with 2 second pauses. The index marking worked too (I have an ancient Magnavox CD player that displays index information).

-Lyle J.P.