Remember Weird Science and Duckman?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Knutzen, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

Every Saturday night from 10 to 10:30 during the mid-90's, do you know where I was? Watching two of the funniest shows (That may sound sad but I was in grade school at the time) EVER broadcast: Weird Science and Duckman.
    The other night I dusted off a VHS of Weird Science episodes I taped (if only I had taped more) and popped it in the old VCR. The shows were as funny as the first time I watched them and I still remembered a lot of the really good lines. Near the end of it's broadcast life, USA stuck with a crappy Sunday timeslot, no marketing and like that it was gone. I saw an episode or two on Fox Family about three years ago but then they replaced it (probably with another lame Star Search rip-off). I miss this show.
    Duckman you can still see on Comedy Central at like two in the morning. This is one of the best animated shows ever created on par with the Simpsons, the Critic, Futurama and Beavis and Butthead. Proof that Jason Alexander is a winner outside of Seinfeld. Any show that features the voice of Tim Curry as an evil chicken genius is an instant classic. I had been watching episodes that I'd never seen before on Comedy Central when an episode that culminated with a triple wedding that was interrupted by Dukman's long-thought-deceased wife Beatrice. The next week they aired the pilot episode. Anyone know if this was the last episode that aired?
    Anyway, I just wanted to talk about two of the most under-rated shows in the history of television and was hoping that there are others out there that share the same love for these shows. I also hope (hopefully not in vain) that one day these shows will make it to DVD. I know that Paramount owns Duckman but I'm not sure about Weird Science (not even TVShowsOnDVD has a distributor listed). Anyone know who does? Thanks for reading.
    Duckman_On_DVD

2. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

I never saw Weird Science, but I'll certainly echo your sentiments regarding Duckman. I'd love this show on disc and would snap it up in mere minutes. Fave episode was the one where future Duckmans kept popping into his life. Everytime he'd change course, a new and equally bad Duckman of the future would pop up.

Fave quote:

"Hey Dod."

3. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Here in the UK, the Beeb screened Weird Science at some crazy time at night (1am or something). I only chanced upon it because they screened Chicago Hope directly after it! Talk about hiding the quality programming...

Anyway, I absolutely loved Weird Science the TV series (never cared much for the film, apart from KLB of course). This is one of those series for which I pray for a DVD release. IMHO, the only thing funnier (from the US) is Married... With Children.

The worst part is, they stopped screening it after 1.5 seasons. [​IMG] DVDs needed now!

4. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

Every time I'm out of the room and I hear a KFC commercial come on, somewhere in the back of my mind I think "Duckman got a commercial gig?"

5. BillSherbon

BillSherbon Extra

Duckman is hilarious! Here are the episodes in case anyone is interested:

http://epguides.com/Duckman/

(looking at the episode guide, yes it looks like the last one is a cliffhanger ...)

6. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

I think I watched Weird Science just for Vanessa Angel. I'm sure she had the same effect on a lot of 10th graders out there. [​IMG]

Plus, this show holds sentimental value since I had discovered how to dub in voices on tv shows using a video camera and vcr. I used this show as my first guinea pig. Sure it wasn't great quality, but man my friends loved it!

7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I remember watching both these shows on Saturday night (I don't think I was very old at the time either [​IMG] )... I would DEFINATELY buy the Weird Science TV series (I liked it even moreso than the movie.

Duckman was just a brilliant cartoon series! [​IMG] I must have seen every episode twice [​IMG] I like the one where they visit the amusement park the best.

By the way... whatever happened to Vanessa Angel? After Weird Science she did Kingpin and I have never seen or heard her name again [​IMG]

8. Steve_Knutzen

9. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

OT: Anyone remember Parker Lewis Can't Lose ?

10. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Good lord, Duckman is classic classic animated comedy. It was often the equal of the Simpsons on many episodes. The parody of the Hope/Crosby roadtrips where the sing the song 'Road to Dendron' is brilliant.

Best moment ever is the episode where they actually had the Weird Science kids on Duckman as part of some bizarre King Chicken plot to destroy television. As King Chicken begins to rant about how Duckman ruined his life (like he does EVERY time he appears), they cut to a live action news broadcaster who 'reports' the breaking story that Tim Curry is sick of doing the King Chicken speech about how Duckman ruined his life and they cut back and it's ending.

I think I sprained something I was laughing so hard at that.

11. James T

James T Screenwriter

Weird Science was a funny show.

As much as I liked Bill Paxton, the Chet Donnelly on the tv show was pretty good. Remember when he got super powers? I think his Superhero name was something like "Star Spangled butt kicker", complete with a butt signal.

Who can forget Parker Lewis? Synchronize your watches!!!

12. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

IMDB says Vanessa Angel is in the upcoming "Baby Geniuses II". (I thought the first movie was such a monumental flop that it could ruin Christopher Lloyd and Kathleen Turner's careers, but IMDB says it ultimately made $27M on a budget of $13M.)

Can't get that Vanessa Angel beer cooler scene from Kingpin out of my head. Not that I want to. But it's funny how I've got a mental block on Randy Quaid's beer cooler scene which comes only a few seconds later.

13. Steve_Knutzen

Something that I realized while watching my WS tapes: This show had an interesting array of guest stars.
    Dick Miller (Mr. Fudderman from Gremlins and star of numerous Corman and Joe Dante flicks) as the Tech Support Guy in 'Demon Lisa'
    Emma Caulfield (Anya from Buffy and star of Darkness Falls) played Phoebe in 'What Genie'
    Adam West made his obligatory cameo and we all know that Adam West only appears on quality show (Simpsons, Family Guy)
    The one and only BRUCE CAMPBELL the show deserves cult classic status for simply having the king of B-movie actors as a guest star
    Seth Green also pre-Buffy
    Ryan Stiles of 'Whose Line Is It Anyway'
    And that's just the ti[ of the iceberg.

14. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

you mean synchronize Swatches :wink:

15. James Stierman

James Stierman Stunt Coordinator

Dude, i saw that wierd science was on the WAM channel on digital cable at 8pm monday. I missed it that week so hopefully i will catch it next. Its so nice to have High School flash backs.

16. James T

James T Screenwriter

17. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

Parker Lewis Can't Lose was immediately followed (the way I remember it anyways) by a Ferris Bueller show, which wasn't as good.

Of course Duckman is the greatest ever, why did they cancel it? How does that last episode turn out? I didn't realize for the longest time that the was the final episode and kept watching to see the next one.

jeremy