Remember these? - Sea Monkeys, $7 Submarine, X-Ray glasses

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ross Williams, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

Just found a fun site: http://www.steveconley.com/comicads.htm
    It has a lot of the old ads that were found in comic books. Brought back some great memories; lying under the covers with a flashlight, on a summers night, dreaming about owning all these miraculous products.
    I think the only thing I ever got was the sea monkeys. As I remember they didn't do a damn thing. Poured them into the water, and they just sort of swelled up a bit and floated there. I was really disappointed.
    Did you guys buy any of these things?

2. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Whoa; We were watching Unwrapped the other night and grooving on old candy, (they had Clark and Almond Joy among others; how they were made... great show!) and there was an old candy collector on there. He had a plastic camera that was a prize from Bazooka, and it made me think of those old comic book ads. Thank you for that link! I tried once to buy about 30 bucks worth of stuff, but my mom busted me.

3. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I ordered the GIANT footlocker with OVER 100 ARMY MEN!! After the excrutiatingly long wait, it finally arrived. It wasn't the size of a footlocker and it was cardboard. The box about the size of what your checks come in from the bank and it had those teeny plastic molded soldiers. Talk about a dissapointed 7-year old.
    [​IMG]

4. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

cool ... I remember every one of those. Bought the Sea monkeys (i.e brine shrimp) and the X-ray vision glasses.
    But the best nostalgia trip all was:
    [​IMG]
    I have every one of these items in a box in my basement right at this moment.

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I remember those ads from the comic books and from "Boy's Life" magazine. I ordered from them a couple of live chameleons that arrived in the mail in matchbox-sized boxes with little holes in them that allowed the creatures to breathe.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

There was also a plastic "log cabin" you could buy for around $10. And those "X-Ray glasses" showed the cartoon of a lacivious fellow oggling a woman in a skirt. Never bought a pair, though.

You saw these ads mostly in DC Comics. Marvel Comics took a higher road. Sort of.

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

[​IMG]

8. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I always wanted the X-Ray specs, and I remember trying to come up with some legitimate reason to want them ("Really, Ma, it would be cool to be able to see all the bones in my hand!"). Never got up the nerve to send for them, but I spent many an hour daydreaming about what I could do with those suckers [​IMG]
    Never got sea monkeys either, but I do remember getting the Jackpot Bank.
    Cool link, Ross.
    Jon

9. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

10. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

...and I'd like to hear from someone who got the X-Ray specs. What do they send you???

Jon

11. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

"they package brine shimp and sell them to kids, thats not right man!!"-Tweek

"YES I AM GOD OF THE SEA PEOPLE!!"-Cartman

I also want to find somebody who got the submarine, that would be rad.

12. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    I had a sub..maybe the same one..but I didn't order it from the comic. It was propelled by what essentially was Alka Seltzer...and moved along in my bath water.

13. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Scooter, I had one of those too, but this is something else... this thing is 7 feet long, seats two kids and fires rockets! All for $6.98... [​IMG]
    /Mike

14. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

I bought a SPY PEN RADIO when I was probably eight or so. I came in the mail, after what seemed to be forever.
    Actually, it was kinda cool. Looked like a fountain pen, but had wire with a small earphone attached to it...and another small wire that you would use to attach to a metal object to use as the AM antenna. I would pick up local AM stations.
    Oh, yeah...saved my BAZOOKA bubblegum wrappers and sent them in for a "MAGIC SMOKE FROM FINGERTIPS" item.
    It arrived as promised. Wasn't really magic. Wasn't really smoke. What it was, was some small tube looking like airplane glue. You dabbed a small amount on your fingers...then pinched the fingers tips together..then opened them quickly. When the finger tips pulled apart, the sticky substance would release these clear fibers into the air...somewhat "smokelike" in appearance. I am sure the stuff was highly toxic....BUT HEY! IT'S MAGIC![​IMG]

15. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Darren,
    I still have a half used tube of that magic smoke around here somewhere... Bought mine at a magic shop, though.

16. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I found this:

17. MickeS

MickeS Producer

It says in the $6.98 submarine add that it's "sturdily constructed of 200 lb. test material"... what exactly does that mean, I wonder?

The comment above seems to be about a different submarine, except for the last paragraph.

18. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

MickeS:

The last paragraph is from a different web page than the preceding pargraphs, but they're talking about the same product.

"200 lb. test material" refers to the bursting strength of the cardboard. You'll sometimes see this sort of spec on cardboard boxes.

19. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Wow, what a scam! Glad I didn't get one...