Remember "The Ventures" rock and roll group?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Click, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Mike Click

Mike Click Stunt Coordinator

If you like me Rock and Roll has meant something to your life as it has mine. I was surfing and my eyes went wide. The Ventures an all music no vocal band, they played the old Hawaii 5 0 TV series with Jack Lord. Here is a URL of their website and let's see if we can stir few memories
    as this website has DVD discs for sale of
    the groups concerts. Let me know what you all think http:www.theventures.com/

They had such a huge amount of hits and fans the world over including me Mike Click, let me know Okay.[​IMG]

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I have been collecting all The Ventures LDs I can find - not easy or cheap. I believe there is a dvd also, although I don't think it's available in any store.

These fellows loomed large in my youth. I didn't have a stereo then, but whenever I babysat for a particular neighbor, I did my best to wear out his two Ventures albums.

3. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I also liked The Ventures in my youth...A lot of their music (especially the early stuff) holds up surprisingly well in this day and age.

4. John Gido

John Gido Second Unit

The Ventures' Christmas Album (CD) still gets played every season in my house. Very clever with the use of classic Ventures tunes that segue into Christmas classics.

One of the reasons that I started playing guitar.[​IMG]

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I owned 2 or 3 Ventures albums, including albums with both versions of Walk, Don't Run. This group was a favorite of mine in the mid-60s.

6. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    My fondest memories of the Ventures is from the ice skating rink. During the public skating sessions I used to attend right before they would resurface the ice they would have a 5 minute speed skating segment. The skate guards would get all the pokies off the rink and all the speedy gonzale types could have a go to the music of the Ventures. They always played WALK DON'T RUN and WIPE OUT. Alan, are most of the Ventures' LD's you're collecting Nipponese imports?[​IMG]

8. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Great story Rachael.

On a recent visit to the Lincoln Center NYC Tower, I found the Walk--Don't Run: Best of from 90'. As my arms were full by the time I got to the 'V' section, I remember sacrificing a SACD so my wallet could handle the Ventures. In retrospect, it was a great decision.

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The Ventures are a blast from my distant past. When I was a kid, this West Coast instrumental group made the generally dreary pop landscape a little more tolerable. And then came this vocal quartet from Liverpool, England ...

10. Mike Click

I got a lot of feedback seems you all know the group. The group which was second to my collecting the Beach Boys. I was hoping you could tell me about their DVDs, that's why I put their URL on. The website has the prices and info when you 'click' on merchandise on their website most are $60 one is $40, not cheap but I love their music.

I must have about 6 double CDs. The album of mine I like is The Ventures "Out of Space. www.google.com type in The Ventures on 'images', and you'll get quite a few. I grabbed a Ventures image for my MY Home Theater home page under my sig.[​IMG]

11. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Rachael: Yes, all of them are Japanese imports. I have:
    • Beloved Invaders
    • Live In L.A.
    • In Concert '94
    • Live In Japan 1990
    • Wild Again Concert '97

Like a dumb ass, I missed what I'll bet was their last LD on Ebay last week, from someone in Hong Kong. Anyone know how many Ventures LDs were put out?

12. Mike Click

^^bump^^ Gentlemen I was interested in DVD
    discs not laser discs. If Rachael wants to speak on his laser disc collection that's fine, but he should do it on his own thread IMO.

Rachael I know your not a woman that's your choice to post under a female name. I am just trying to get this thead back on to my original question about DVD discs of The Ventures. The last post I started that was carried on to a different subject, other than the topic died a quick death.

13. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

14. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Mike:

• Rachael is a longtime, respected, and valued member of Home Theater Forum—and she possesses extensive knowledge about LaserDiscs (as well as SACD and DVD-A).

• She is also of the gender indicated by her name. Your last post constitutes a personal attack, which is usually a fatal error on an HTF member's part.

• Rachael was contributing colorful—and helpful—background information on this celebrated instrumental group; it enhanced this thread, not detracted from it.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via our personal-messaging system or by e-mail. Thank you.

JB

16. Mike Click

Dirty Dancing Baby (Frances) Housman was trying to learn to dance using Wipeout by safaries/ventures to impress Johnny Castle, and to take over for Penny. The producer on the film Jimmy Ienner was so impressed by Jennifer Greys (Baby) dancing ability, on the song wipeout he cast her amonst others.

IMO the song might be a 'wipeout' but it landed Jennifer Grey with the leading lady in the now famous "Dirty Dancing" movie. I have on discs that's frequently watched, my starting chapter 8 when baby and the kid carrying 1 too many watermelons gave Baby her 1st chance at seeing and dancing with the man who caught her eye Johnny Castle (Patrick Swayzee).