Remember my Fiero?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Wright, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Remember the guy that ran me off the road? Destroyed my car? The guy that my insurance company (State Farm) was suing?
    He came back and threatened to sue them. Claims his car scraped the curb as he passed me. Claims it caused him serious back pain and therapy sessions.
    So what's State Farm do? They're paying him a settlement. They're no longer suing him. They told me it's easier for them to just pay him than go through a lawsuit. They told me they are on my side and know that my story is true, but the way the legal system works, since he is threatening them with a back pain lawsuit (note that our cars didn't even make contact!), it's easier to give him some money so he will go away.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I could care less about the money. I don't /need/ the $500 deductable back. I only wanted the guy's head on a platter.
    We live in a great country, don't we?

2. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

New info: I called the claims agent back to have a longer chat. Turns out she knows this guy very well. He's been in four times! Apparently, this is a common thing for him! He gets people to rear-end him and sues them for back pain. She says he's got a few attorney friends helping him out.
    So he was, in fact, trying to force me to rear end him - as I figured all along. Now I'm glad I didn't. Much better to crash into a pole and total my car - this way, the bastard is only going to get a few hundred bucks. My agent says it's basically "go away" money. They throw some cash at him and he leaves them alone. Had I rear-ended him, he would be coming at me for tens of thousands, like he did to the last people he's done this to.
    On that note, my day is a little better. I'm glad I was able to keep from rear ending him... What's unfortunate is that the insurance companies, who know all about this guy and know that he does this to people, don't have any backbone. What's it going to take to get him to stop this bullshit? The next time, he could kill someone... [​IMG]
    Wish I had the many thousands of dollars it would take to sue him, but unfortunately, even if I did it would accomplish nothing. They won't throw him in jail, so he will still be out on the streets doing this to others...

3. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

If the insurance company is aware of his scam, why don't they get him for insurance fraud? That's pretty wimpy of them to just give up like that. It's easier on them, but he still wins. [​IMG]

4. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

6. Jeff_Krueger

Jeff_Krueger Stunt Coordinator

If your insurance company is aware of this scam then they should refund your deductible. I would think that it would be in the best interests of the insurance company to sue him so that maybe he won't be pulling this scam anymore and then they wouldn't have pay out future claims for people that this ass tries to cause accidents with.

7. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Reading your story, Ryan...made me very upset. This may sound extreme, but it's my belief.

I think there is a threshold. Some people call it morals, some refer to it as the law. Regardless, I strongly feel when one crosses that line, that's it. When someone murders, rapes, harms children...he doesn't deserve another chance. And unless someone can prove me wrong, people who commit these egregious acts of transgression...well, they're hard wired for the predilection. They are your repeat offenders.

In this case, this guy only reinforce my belief. Although I value life, I would have no sympathy if something bad were to happen to him. Let's say, one day, one of his rear-end schemes backfires.

In the mean time, try and let go of your internal friction. Don't let this piece of shit consume you.

8. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

If there's any justice in the world, people like this guy will one day try this in front of a monster truck with bad brakes.

9. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Ryan, that REALLY sucks... I got so mad reading your posts. Everything about insurance companies make me so upset, and then to have a guy like this take advantage of them makes it even worse. I don't see why they don't bring this guy to court once and for all. I think you as their customer should have the right to FORCE them to do it.
    And just a THREAT to sue them makes them bend over and take it up the ass? Let the guy sue them. He doesn't have a chance in hell of winning.
    Argh... I think a well-placed blow from a baseball bat would make this guy a better person...[​IMG]
    /Mike

10. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

11. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Man, that bites the big one. No matter what type of system or society we set up, there's always someone who will subvert it and try to exploit it. It's not much consolation that scumbags like these are not representative of the majority of law-abiding and moral people.

But things have a way of catching up with people like this. They get sloppy and make a mistake, and the party's over.

It doesn't help matters that insurance companies are always running commercials and posting billboards saying these moralistic things like "we all pay for insurance fraud", meanwhile it seems they are being enablers, they are part of the problem.

12. MickeS

MickeS Producer

An insurance company saying "we all pay for insurance fraud" is lying. THEY aren't paying, they are in fact making money off of it, by raising the premiums. They should be saying "you all pay for insurance fraud".

/Mike

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I'm kinda surprised the insurance company isn't going after him for fraud, but perhaps there's not enough evidence. I can see why they'd pay him off in a small case like this. Throwing $1000 at him is cheaper than paying the legal staff a $10,000 to deal with it. So, in this case, yes they may well be doing what they can to reduce the total cost of fraud.
    But Ryan -- this sucks! I remember your original posts about this. Very frustrating.
    My only random (and legal) suggestion, is to contact the newspaper. Perhaps there's some young, hungry wanna-be investigative reporter who'd like to do a profile piece on this guy.
    But, in all, this is about it: [​IMG]
    This reminds me of a friend here in town, whose dog was killed while at the local PetCo (by the staff). They gave him the run-around, rather than just saying, "Yeah we screwed up. Let's try and make this right." Which, reminds me, I need to find out what's going on with that now.

14. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

[​IMG] I'm speechless! thats BS!

15. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

You should threaten to sue if they don't sue the guy for threatening to sue if he is sued!

16. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I second the idea about going to the press with it. There's nothing like bad publicity.

17. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

18. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Thank you for the responses. You people are the reason I love this forum.
    I don't know where I'm going to go with this now. I talked to my agent who said my rates will not be going up no matter how much this guy gets, so I may leave it at that. I hate the fact that he is getting away with this, but I don't see another way around it. The $500 isn't a big deal, I just don't want him getting money. If I could, I'd spend $10k on lawyers to keep him from getting anything. One of these days maybe I'll have that kind of money laying around (as long as HT equipment is available for purchase, it's not likely!).
    I'd contact the local newspaper, but they don't like me. [​IMG] I've written too many convincing letters to the editor that didn't mesh well with their liberal point of view.

19. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Holy crap that's lame! Where's the "hero" like "in the movies" where they step up and sue the pants off the guy/send him to jail "against all odds."
    Oh wait, we don't live in a movie... well, maybe you guys don't, but I do!!
    Anyway, someone should stand up and give this guy what he deserves.
    Sorry about your misfortunes Ryan.
    EDIT: I forgot to make angry face... [​IMG]

20. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Ryan,

that really bites... wrt what your agent said about your rates not going up. Get it in writing.... people frequently say what you want to hear...

protect yourself!

Miles