What's new

Remember "IT" (AKA Ginger)? (1 Viewer)

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Three things:

1. How does this thing handle high curb drop-offs? Not every sidewalk has those nice ramps for wheelchairs.

2. I like being in my car when it's too hot, cold, or wet outside. That just described 80% of the weather here.

3. 'tain't nothin' but an 'lectric pogo stick. This guy sure knew how to prime the media pump.

TimDoss

Second Unit
I think that in certain situations this thing could be

great. Your own personal moving sidewalk. I know like

when I'm walking around Vegas or following my g/f around

shopping I've wished many times for moving sidewalks.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
TimDoss...you made me laugh. Your story is quite hilarious, but very sad at the same time. It's sad because it's true for me too.
I think you've got the perfect application, hitting the perfect target demographic. Boyfriends/husbands who cannot keep up the the pace of their SO in the malls. Because my guess is that the gait of our gals is just a slight bit more brisk when they see the sales. I know my feet could use the break.
Seriously, granted the jury's out on the impact of the Segway on our cultural landscape. But for those who predict immediate obsolescence for the Segway...keep in mind, it takes generations before new technology reaches a critical mass in mainstream acceptance.
The pc, the airplane, the remote control...these all were roundly lambasted, and those proponents of such technologies were ridiculed. It took a while before they made their profound impacts.
We all could walk to our home theater systems and punch the buttons, exercising and losing weight :rolleyes, but can you imagine that?

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Tim, do you work for Segway? :) You've come up with the perfect demographic for the Segway and now, the perfect accessory.
If not, you could hit a goldmine by starting up a third party accessory company for the Segway. And if the Segway takes off, wow...no more worrying about your 401(k) turning out like the employees at Enron.

brian a

Second Unit
I think the idustrial version is the one that's 80lbs. The consumer model that's out next year will be 65, I think.

brianca.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I caught a brief video of a demo, on the news last night. I was very impressed! The user rode one up an over a bump (about like going up a curb or speedbump) and back down into pool of water. He then came to stop in the water, about 6" deep. After a few seconds, he turn 180° around and went back out. Pretty slick!

As I said to my roommate last night, this is a solution to a problem I don't have. I'm waiting to see how it does in dense cities (NYC, Boston, etc.) I can see uses there.

What would be interesting, and perhaps of interest to people like myself, would be a user-powered model (think StairClimber excercise equipment), with the stabilization technology. That would save 10 - 20lbs with the battery removal; it would not be as "lazy" for more active crowd; it would be even greener. And without the electric motor, could be a bit cheaper. And, like the scooters, could become a popular outdoor toy, but safer (with the DS technology).

Still, I'm not yet convinced this is revolutionary -- not the way automobiles and planes were. In many ways, it is a high-tech MoPed, or refinement of today's powered scooters.

TimDoss

Second Unit
Actually, a trailer for the cooler, and a cup holder for the beer and I wouldn't

care where it took me.

Hey, here's another idea for it... the homeless.

They always look so sad pushing those shopping carts around... give 'em Segways... a trailer for their aluminum

cans, a coin holder up front, and a special hook to hang

their "will work for..." signs.

MikeM

Screenwriter
I cracked up when I finally saw this 'it' on TV. I think the guy is nuts.
I've seen stories and other reports on Dean Kamen, and to me, he's a genius.
To all those who see this invention as nothing more than hype, you really should see Kamen's wheelchair he introduced earlier this year on a similar technology.
This weelchair can go up stairs, yes, real stairs.
It can also go over curbs, rise up on two wheels to make the driver reach objects, etc.
You can view this video piece here. Awesome story.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Dean Kamen has stated that he hates it when people refer to his "wheelchair" as a "wheelchair." He considers it to be the world's most powerful robot. Whatever you call it, it is extraordinary--and so is he.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I'm sure Dean Kamen is a talented inventor, but this invention can in no way be compared to the PC or the airplane.

The technology is impressive, but we're talking about a specific product. The Wright brothers' plane wasn't very practical, but the technology was what counted. No one would have claimed their actual plane would revolutionise transport as some here are with the Segway.

The Segway's technology is certainly impressive but if anyone thinks the Segway itself is going to change the way people live they should re-think.

Adam

Andy_S

Second Unit
Yeah, but I'd need a trailer on it to haul around all the shit(read:shoes) she buys.
Here you go:
c_2_bot.jpg

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Some more info:

Is Segway the future of travel?

By John Geralds in Silicon Valley [04-12-2001]

Computer hardware and custom-designed software, about 10 microprocessors, battery chargers and rubber compounds, together set in motion the eagerly awaited self-balancing, electric-powered transportation machine. Officially called the Segway Human Transporter, the machine is a product from the technologies of Delphi Automotive Systems, GE Plastics, Michelin, Pacific Scientific, Saft, and Silicon Sensing Systems.

For example, Delphi assisted in the development of the circuit boards and user interface components, and Saft helped develop self-contained nickel and metal hydride electric batteries that feature integrated charge management electronics.

Dean Kamen, Segway's chairman and the man with the vision behind the human transporter, said: "To bring a product like the Segway HT to market you need to have world-class supply partners with incredible vision, and we've brought together just such a team."

The 65- to 80-pound Segway (depending on model) looks like a huge barbell with a handle. Two large wheels are placed on either side of the platform where the rider stands, gripping the handle.

The scooter, which has no brakes, can go from 5 to 17 miles an hour. The vehicle senses and reacts to the rider's subtle shifts in balance.

The first customers to test the Segway include the US Postal Service, General Electric, the National Parks Service and Amazon.com.

The company will produce three models: the i-series, which optimises range and speed across a variety of terrain; the e-series, which is designed for business applications where it is necessary to carry cargo - up to 75 pounds in addition to the rider; and the p-series, which will target densely populated areas, both indoors and out.

Segway will first be introduced for commercial use and initial applications include large scale manufacturing plants and warehouse operations, travel and tourism, and corporate and campus transportation.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Andy, that article was very informative, and I'm all for it, except for one little problem.

If they want these to be used in developing countries they still have to buy them. I don't know what an average worker makes in Columbia or China, for example, but even at a grand a pop that probably would be many, many years wages.

Maybe if they can get it down to $300 I might consider it.

Glenn

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'm stil thinking that I can get a scooter for $1200 that will do 30MPH I have real trouble buying one of these.

Now if you could rent them at malls that may be a diferent story.

Brent L

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I've been reading alot about this, and I must say that I am excited about it. I probably won't buy one anytime soon, but I can sure imagine reasons why companies I have worked for would.

What a great tool for security officers patrolling properties, parking garages, etc.

If I lived in the "big" city (like NYC), where I had to walk everywhere, I would definately be interested.

And I am also excited to think about the possible other products that will use this technology. We are talking about a piece of equipment with a better sense of balance than a human has. Very exciting.

Andy_S

Second Unit
Andy, that article was very informative, and I'm all for it, except for one little problem.
Well, if it were their primary mode of transportation, I'm sure they could finance it. How much do we pay for our primary mode of transportation? $20,000-$50,000 easy...

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
So when do you think the first Segway-jacking will occur? :)
It's a really cool thing, but too expensive still. If it was less than $500, I'd buy one right away. I don't think it can be compared to a scooter or a moped, since this thing (presumably) would be allowed where those vehicles are not allowed (malls, offices and so on).
/Mike

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't know how much Segway will impact our lives in it's current form but I have to say that the technology is very impressive. Who knows what forms the gyro system might come in once others begin to think about how it could be used. I just think that it's damned cool that he invented something that acts like the human balancing system. I hope that I get to take a spin on one someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks