What's new

Remember Eric Draven? The Crow One GREAT dvd! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I am watching The Crow collectors series dvd. I just have to give some appreciation. The content of the movie itself is amazing. I love this movie. Let alone the dvd quality. Thank you for an anamorphic and DTS version of this much deserving film. If you have not yet seen this film, it is a must. Each time I watch it, it gets better and better. ENJOY!

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, this is a great looking DVD... sad though how much content was lost due to studio politics. :frowning:

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I agree. Loved this movie the first time I saw it in theaters. The way it blended with the music was mesmerizing. It was truly, truly a shame that Brandon Lee died during production.

"Mr. Gideon {whack} you're not paying attention."

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I've never seent he DVD but the DTS LaserDisc is an audio tour de force. One of the best sounding LDs.

GaryEA

Second Unit
I remember when my friend Adam and I skipped class and went uptown to see the first showing of "The Crow" in Manhattan.

The film was simply amazing. It took three days and two more showings to soak it all in.

We walked out stunned and thrilled, clutching the audience response cards with O'Barr art the Miramax reps were handing out while the credits rolled.

For weeks we talked about it, and pretty soon the film started to influence our own film projects.

I've enjoyed the sequels for what they give; "City of Angels" is good, and I think I give it a lot more credit others do. "Salvation" suffers from script problems and weaker production (it tried too hard IMO), plus the disinterest of the studio.

But how can you live up to the first film? It has the strange, uneasy tone that this is a film about a man back from the dead, played by a man we wished would come back. It was a love letter to his craft, his fiancee, and his heritage.

And how about Alex Proyas and Graeme Revell? Proyas divined the style of both contemporary films as well as classics, like the window to window shot from "Svengali". Revell's theme, written to support the tender, raw themes for the film, became the swan song for a fallen actor.

Someone asked me if Brandon Lee had not died during filming, would the film be just another hack and slash kill-fest? I said bluntly, "No. Even with his hard work, Brandon worked hard enough to make sure the film was not a "Brandon Lee film", but a story about love."

We miss you Brandon. Thank you.

Gary

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The Crow is bar none, the best film adapted from a graphic novel ever filmed!
It's haunting, exciting, and oh so sad. Sadness and anguish virtually ooze from this film and I wouldn't change a thing. The streets are cold, dark, lonely, as Eric walks them in search of an end to his torment. This may sound a little mordib, but I have always thought that Brandon Lee's death cast such a massive shadow over this film that it's impossible for me to watch it and not think that it's Brandon i'm watching not Eric Draven. His death had a profound impact on the effectivness of this film I think.
From a technical standpoint, the film is a marvel. It boasts some of the best use of models and miniatures i've ever seen to achieve an almost apocolyptic vision of Detroit, black, decaying, ravaged by violence from the creatures that roam the streets below the rotting rooftops. And the technique for completing some scenes without Brandon has come a long way since they attempted it with his father. If not told, you wouldn't be able to spot them.
It's all tied together by the best score Graham Revell has ever composed for any film. I own the score soundtrack CD, and the music alone can chill you to the bone. Not because it's scary, but because it has a quality to it that suggsests isolation from the world, that nothing else exsists anymore, you are alone, cold, afraid, sad. That's what his score says to me when I hear it.
In the end Alex Proyas and everyone involved have pulled off a miracle with this film. It's one of the best films ever made.
RIP Brandon Lee.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
It is such a shame that both Bruce and Brandon Lee died as they were just starting to come into the big hollywood scene. I feel so bad for Linda Lee, who has lost a husband and a son. I garauntee Brandon would still be making kick ass movies today if he was with us.

RIP Bruce and Brandon

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me, or do others get the odd feeling sometimes while viewing the film that although Brandon is indeed "gone" from this world, he he still exists in another realm or plane in the same way that us fans all remember him? As if he indeed had a bit of the old "Crow" in him himself? I mean, some of the lines in the film and some of what he said during the on set interview are just WAY too eerie and almost said in a "knowing" way...
Who knows, maybe I'm mad or maybe He just gave an AMAZING and very under-rated performance.
Higly recommended film and DVD (Collector's 2 disc annie edition)... Show it to friends who haven't seen it. Keep Brandon's and anyone we lost before their time's memories alive!!!! It is truly a love letter to anyone who is gone or has lost someone.
Think of the very last line of the film and it can be applied to quite alot, and, VERY appropriately to the 9/11 victims.
RIP Brandon, you definitely left YOUR mark!!!!
:) Dave Mack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks