What's new

Remastered Space: 1999 S1 (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I have the old AE set and it is night and day.
I prefer the darker more serious tone of season one myself so if season 2 is not released I can live.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Finally got this, and.....wow. The color is so vibrant(looks like a new show) and the 5.1 is rich, and well done, not cheap like some 5.1 mixes for tv shows on dvd. I will keep my A&E set for the second season, but the first season is gonna collect a whole lot of dust. Testament of Arkadia Rules!!!!

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I live in the USA so the only sets that were available were from Carlton. I wonder as well if this new product will make it to the USA?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
As others have said, not likely for the forseeable future. Probably the best we can hope for is a realease when A&E's licence expires. Then, maybe they'll either renew and re-issue the remastered version, or maybe someone else will.

My guess, though, is that unless there's a remastered release of Year Two forthcoming in the UK, we probably won't see the remastered Year One over here. I doubt any US company with the American rights will be interested in only reissuing half the episodes.

honestjohn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
Was pricing out the Space 1999 A&E Mega-Box just last week. Thanks for the heads-up. The new transfers look outstanding. Glad I didn't pull the trigger on the old set. Guess I'll put this back in the queue of DVDs I want until someone in these parts puts out the new release in R1-land.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
It's worth it, kingfish, to import the set and get an all-region player. The Philips 612 is only around $49 at Wal-Mart.

wvrs158

Auditioning
Real Name
ray tucker
any thoughts on a&e's "complete space 1999 megaset 30th ANNIVERSARY EDITION" due to release in JULY (7/3/07 @ a&e, 7/31/07 @ amazon)?

i've got my fingers (and toes!) crossed for the RE-re-mastered network series one, but i've got the feeling i'm just gonna loose my hand.

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
Looking at the extras listed on A&E's website, they appear to be identical when comparing them to what is on the back of the box of the original megaset. If this is indeed a re-remastered version, then you would think that they would go out of their way to emphasize this on the packaging as well as in the product description. Of course that would then encourage those that already own the original release like myself to double dip. This appears to be the same offering as before, except slimmer DVD cases are now being used and it is made available at a more affordable price. This is basically the same thing as was done with A&E's 40th Anniversary re-release of The Prisoner. I bought that re-release because I didn't already own the original megaset of that series where I thought it was overpriced.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I've been eyeing the Mega Set for awhile now, glad I waited on buying it. The new slim case set is a lot more affordable to me and I like the box art more. I hope A&E does the same thing with UFO.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Agreed on UFO...I've been interested in that set but haven't purchased it because it is overpriced as the ``Space: 1999'' set was until now. Glad I waited as well!
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
I already purchased both UFO sets as well, but it would be great to do a similar re-release with that series also at a reduced price. If they did that however, I just hope they don't add anything extra because that would be unfair to those that already bought the original release at a higher price. I am glad that they didn't do that with Space 1999, yet also happy for those that can now get the megaset at a reduced price so that they can also enjoy this classic series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So, do we know whether the complete series box that's coming in late July is remastered? It's not double-sided discs, is it? I have only the first two discs (the first A&E release) and would be happy to trade up.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I would Double dip if these were remastered, it's just the same set repackaged.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

From the description provided these still seem to be the ones I own, maybe maybe not. Anyhow I'm gonna wait for a review to see how the transfer for these are.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Well, technically the original release was "remastered" and "uncut" as well.

Don't get your hopes up too high, guys. Knowing A&E's past practices, this is almost 100% likely just a repackage at a lower price point, nothing more. The extras list and that "bonus" disc, as well as the same box art design as in the past, are probably the biggest indicators. You'd think if this was the "re-remastered" Network version, they'd at least change the box art and make the remastered blurb a bit clearer that this is indeed a new transfer.

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
I guess my previous post was just ignored. Look back where I already stated that the extras are the same as what is listed on the back of the box of the original megaset. Perhaps the confusion is with the new box saying "Complete Uncut and Digitally Remastered". Well the description of the original megaset has those exact same words in the exact same font, size and order and both boxes have it placed immediately under the words "A Gerry Anderson Production Starring Martin Landau & Barbara Bain". If this was re-remastered, don't you think they would want to make that very clear in the product description and on the box itself to give a reason for those of us that already bought the original set to double dip?

Also, I would think that where they are making the set much more affordable than before, if it was re-remastered then my guess is they would be charging more than $95.95 (as listed on a&e.com) where the original megaset still goes for two times that price on that very same website.

For the picture that is shown on this new megaset box, they simple use a different photo from one of the various separate two disc sets. The font for the title "Space 1999" still is the same for both, not as it appears on the show of course. If you look at the font for the title text as the series was released in some other countries, they have it shown properly. Why they felt the need to change that I don't, know but I find it a little annoying.

Aside from the photos and the color of the framing, one difference I spotted in the boxes is that the re-release says in moderately large size text that it is a 17 DVD Megaset. The original says on the box that there are 16 discs and this is only stated in rather small print on the back and at the bottom. However on the plastic wrapping over my box there is a sticker that says "Bonus DVD" which lists many of the extras that are stated on the box itself. This bonus disc came in a paper sleeve and perhaps this new set will have it inside one of the new slimmer DVD cases.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I thought the A&E contract was about to expire for a number of British shows, namely Space:1999. This looks like a good way to unload disc stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks