What's new

Remastered Space: 1999 S1 (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Neither will I. I'm just saying that it isn't impossible, and if Network go ahead and remaster Year 2, then the likelyhood will increase, especially if A&E's rights lapse.

If/when it does happen, I'd say it won't be anytime soon, but due to Network's high price tag (and the weak US dollar compared to the pound), I'm not motivated enough to buy the R2-PAL. I'm content to wait a few years and see if an R1 materialises (or if the inevitable price-drop on the R2).

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I received S1 yesterday from AmazonUK. There has been a price drop. WOW! Breathtaking. Absolutely. My oppo outputs native PAL at 576P and the quality is phenomenal. Sound is impressive too! If Only Lucas could see what could/should be done about remastering... And yes most of the dialogue sounds natural and non-sped up but the occasional looped or overdubbed dialog does sound pitched up. Not a problem.
Highly reccommended!

:) d

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yes Dean, that's the set. The jump in quality is mind boggling.
The price now was do-able. Also, they remove the VAT charge from the order when you order to the USA. The set was like 43lbs. delivered. (Like $80)Came in 4 days!
Well worth it.
If there is an NTSC release it will be different and won't look as good, less resolution and might suffer from, believe it or not, NTSC slowdown.
If you are region free and PAL capable it's well worth it IMHO.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Not likely, especially if they use the R2 masters, which would be on tape and not film (and, therefore, would not suffer from slowdown). Videotape is not subject to the "PAL speedup" effect.

It's also possible that Network could make NTSC versions of their own (ala Robin of Sherwood) but if they did, those would likely be way too expensive.

Let's just hope Space superfan Bosco convinces A&E (or another company when their licence runs out) to use the Network masters and give us a proper NTSC set.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I'd buy SPACE:1999 if someone released it here in the u.s. in seasons for a reasonable price. That's why I have'nt bought the A&E set, I like the show but not for over a hundred dollars!
For that price they should at least throw in a replica of a EAGLE or something.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well the PAL versions will still look better, 576P vs. 480P. That's 96 more lines of Vertical pic. data. My Oppo outputs native PAL and my PJ accepts PAL and displays at 50 hz. Also, didn't this restoration go back to the original film elements and tranfer them at 25fps and at 50hz.? I'm a bit confused.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
The liner notes said both speeds were used during production, but mostly in 24. But editing was done in 25*, and so was the dubbing, so no matter what format you're watching you're experiencing slowdown or speedup at one time or another.

*or maybe the other way around, but the rest would still apply.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
The looped dialog DEFINITELY sounds sped up compared to the on set production sound. Odd, that they wouldn't be consistant.

:)

RickardL

Supporting Actor
How come I have missed this release?????? I am stunned! :)
I just watched a few episodes from my old R2 PAL set last week and
wondered if this would ever be remastered!!
I have seen the cover before but thought it was just a new cover
on the old Carlton release...
Placed an order now with play.com £49.99!

RickardL

Supporting Actor
This is my best ever double-dip! The picture quality is outstanding:
vibrant colours, no edge enhancement/ringing, no speckles or dirt!

If you ever needed a reason to buy a multiregion dvd player (with
pal to ntsc conversion if you need it), this is it!!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
It's pretty amazing, right!
The colors POP off the screen, slap you around and go back!

:) d

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
If you have an OPPO DVD player it outputs NATIVE PAL at 576P without converting to NTSC. Extra res...
If your PJ accepts this and does 50hz. you are in for a treat! NO 3/2 pulldown judder, smooth as silk, hi res. pic. Outstanding.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I want this so bad, but I really want to know if season 2 is going be released with the same magic touch. The A&E set I have is starting to look worse each time I visit this thread, so thanks for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks